2 boys electrocuted while trying to retrieve kites

Published: 26 October, 2013 01:01 IST | Anuradha Varanasi |

They got burnt when they used a metal rod to extricate their kites stuck in an overhead cable

Two boys are fighting for their lives after they sustained severe burns owing to electrocution. The incident took place in Chembur’s Yashwant Nagar when the boys tried to remove a kite caught in a high-tension wire. Rajkumar Gupta (11) and Vikram Gupta (15), were flying their kites on Friday evening when their kite got stuck in an overheard wire. 

Local residents say that the two might have climbed up the terrace of the community hall and used a metal rod to retrieve their kite. Dr Mahendra Wadiwalla, medical superintendent of Rajawadi Hospital, said, “Vikram was brought with 90 per cent burns and is undergoing treatment in the ICU ward. His chances of survival are slim given the severe burns he sustained.” Dr Avinash Supe, dean of Sion Hospital, said that Rajkumar managed to escape with 30 to 40 per cent burns to his face and upper limbs and though his condition was critical, he would survive. 

“He is under observation, and the next 72 hours are crucial for his survival,” Dr Supe said.  Nitin Nangaonkar, a social worker from the area, said that the wire was dangling very low and is hardly a few feet above the slums in Yashwant Nagar.  It was Nitin who found the boys and rushed them to the hospital. “Doctors say their chances of survival are bleak. Vikram’s mother who works as a vegetable vendor is inconsolable and the family is in no state to talk,” said Nitin. 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK