2014 World Cup: No decision on Manaus stadium work resumption
Work on the World Cup stadium in Manaus remained paralyzed Monday, following the death of a construction worker Saturday in a fall, local prosecutors told AFP Monday.
The local prosecutor's office demanded an immediate halt to work on the almost completed venue after the 22-year-old worker became the second fatality at the venue this year.
The latest tragedy followed hot on the heels of a double fatality at another new stadium in Sao Paulo, which will host the June 12 World Cup opening game between hosts Brazil and Croatia.
"Work remains halted. The public prosecutor is currently inspecting the site and we shall decide thereafter whether or not work should be resumed," a spokesman told AFP.
Main contractor Andrade Gutierrez confirmed work had not resumed but would not comment further.
Sunday, the state public prosecutor warned the company it faced a daily fine of 100,000 reais (USD 45,000) if it did not fully comply with judicial worker safety regulations.
Local unions say worker conditions are not safe and threatened strike action.
The public prosecutor had already identified several health and safety violations even before the March death of a 49-year-old worker at the stadium, where England will face Italy in their opening group match.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe