28-year-old man posts photos of kissing sculptures in temple; held
During one of his holidays in the week, the man, accompanied by his friends, had visited the temple and during the time clicked these photos and posted them on Facebook
A 28-year-old man was arrested on Sunday account of defiling a place of worship as well as outraging religious sentiments when he posted a few photos on social media site Facebook of him kissing, hugging and touching sculptures at Brihadeeshwara Temple in Thanjavur, which is also known as the Big Temple.
According to New Indian Express, M Rathinavel, of Kottapattu, first lodged a complaint at the Cantonment police station after which, the accused, K Mujibur Rahman, was arrested. He is a native of Tirunelveli and works with a food delivery app located in Tiruchy.
Several Hindu activists belonging to different groups went on to circulate these photos and also demanded action against the accused.
The youth had captioned some of the photos “wear a shawl, friend”. According to the cops, Rahman was staying at one of his relative’s house located in Sengulam Colony. "On June 5 he was on leave and went to Thanjavur on his bike with his friends. While visiting the temple there, he took these pictures and posted them on Facebook," said a police officer.
Rahman was booked under Indian Penal Code Section 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class) and Section 295 (A) (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs). The accused will be produced before a magistrate.
Top stories of the day
- Mumbai receives cyclonic rain before monsoon hits around June 15
- Mumbai: Esplanade holds key to heritage tag for whole precinct
- Mumbai Crime: Auto driver threatens to sever traffic cop's head, arrested in Khar
- Mumbai: NEET topper's face in ads of 3 different classes raises hackles
- Mumbai: Two die after auto crushed between dumper, private bus on EEH
- Mumbai: Chaos alert as BMC shuts old bridges in Juhu and Oshiwara
- Politicians to plant 9,000 trees for the 3,000 hacked over Metro 4 work
- Dr Ram Puniyani: To label me anti-Hindu is a carefully constructed prism'
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Court proceedings in Dr Payal Tadvi's case to be recorded on video
- Mumbai Crime: IIT scholar who stalked woman for 5 years held in Bihar
- BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi: New zoo will help preserve Aarey better
- Sewri police arrest 'smart' thieves; discover plan to rob jewellery shops
- Mumbai: Two kids and five dogs electrocuted in first showers
- Nmami Agarwal: Celebrity nutritionist who has trained Manushi Chhillar
- Mumbai Rains: City welcomes first heavy showers of monsoon
- Masaba Gupta looks gorgeous in all-white ensemble
- Woman on flight opens emergency exit door mistaking it for toilet
- Tanuja on the road to recovery; Kajol shares a picture with mother
- Man stabbed to death by his friend over ludo game
- World Cup 2019: Anushka Sharma can't stop praising husband Virat Kohli's on-field gesture
- Yuvraj Singh receives a standing ovation from rumoured ex-girlfriend Kim Sharma on his retirement
- Yuvraj Singh: Cricket taught me to fight, fall, dust myself and get up
- World Cup 2019: ICC needs to take a serious look at the LED bails
- An era ends with Girish Karnad; last rites take place in Bengaluru
- Dino Morea and Shibani Dandekar spotted at an eatery in Bandra
Rajasthan's Suman Rao bags Miss India 2019 crown