4 months on, in-laws nabbed for murder

Published: Dec 27, 2011, 09:20 IST | Shiva Devnath |

Crime Branch arrested brother- and parents-in-law of 24-year-old woman strangled in Silvassa and driven to UP to be disposed of in August; husband had been arrested earlier

Crime Branch arrested brother- and parents-in-law of 24-year-old woman strangled in Silvassa and driven to UP to be disposed of in August; husband had been arrested earlier 
After four months of tracing the in-laws of Silvassa resident Nilam Singh, who was allegedly strangled by them, stashed in a car and driven till UP so the accused could dump her body, the Unit V of the Mumbai Crime Branch yesterday arrested her brother-in-law Nilesh and his parents from a Matunga guesthouse where they were hiding.

MiD DAY's report on October 24
Nilam's husband Priyesh, the prime accused, had been arrested before. According to the Crime Branch officers, the Silvassa police had been looking for Priyesh's brother Nilesh and their parents since the murder in August. They had provided the Crime Branch with photos of the three accused.

"The mobile phones that the accused were using had been left behind along with the body in UP, so we were unable to trace their location. We then found a man who was in touch with the family members while they were on the run. With his help, we found the new cell number of one of the accused, and traced it to a location in Matunga," said API Anagha Satavse of Crime Branch.

The police arrested the trio on Monday. The crime branch officers will now hand over the accused to the Silvassa police for further investigations.

MiD DAY had reported about the incident on October 24.

The murder
Priyesh Singh (25), his elder brother Nilesh, and their parents had allegedly strangled Priyesh's 24-year-old wife Nilam in August this year. To dispose of the corpse, the Singh family embarked on a road trip from Silvassa in Gujarat to Jaunpur in Uttar Pradesh via Thane, in their Toyota Innova car.

A Mulund resident, Priyesh co-owned NP Belting Ltd at Pimparia, Silvassa with his father. Whenever members of the Singh family visited Silvassa, they would put up in their flat at Pramukh Vihar Colony. According to investigation reports of the Silvassa police, Priyesh resided at the flat with Nilam, their one-and-a-half-year-old son Abhishek, Nilesh and his parents. On the night of August 25, he called his brother's wife and told her that an accident had claimed Nilam's life.

But suspecting something fishy, the brother's wife asked her kin in Navi Mumbai to make an anonymous phone call to Nilam's family, intimating them that Nilam might be in trouble. The caller requested the family to reach Silvassa at the earliest.

Meanwhile, Priyesh and his kin had already left the Silvassa flat to dump the body. In Thane, they tried to bribe a doctor to make Nilam's death look like an accident; when he refused, they drove to UP where they abandoned the car and fled. Cops later recovered the body from the abandoned car, three days after her murder, and were able to arrest Priyesh along with the car's driver, but his kin had been absconding until yesterday.

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK