Accused's police custody extended by 3 days

Published: 23 October, 2013 01:48 IST | Salil Urunkar |

Court gives cops custody of teenager Aakash Salve, while his parents have been remanded in judicial custody; trio are accused of abetting the suicide of 16-yr-old Talegaon resident

Special Judge S D Darne yesterday extended the police custody of teenager Aakash Salve (19), who was arrested for abetting the suicide of a 16-year-old girl from Talegaon, after he was charged under an additional section of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.

Talegaon-Dabhade police officials applied the new section after some witnesses revealed to them that Salve had been harassing the minor girl for the last nine months. “Aakash is not cooperating with the police during interrogation, and he has to be confronted with regard to the call detail records of his mobiles,” police told the court.

Meanwhile, the judge, while granting police custody, stated, “When in our society such illegal acts or offences are on the rise, police need to investigate such offences very carefully.” Salve was arrested on the night of October 16 on charges of abetting the suicide of the girl, with the help of his parents.

The requests of the girl’s parents to register a complaint against Aakash was turned down by some police officers and staff posted at the Talegaon police station, after which the girl had committed suicide by jumping off a water storage tank in Panchavati colony on October 15 at 2 pm.

Aakash, his father Prakash and mother Meena were produced in the court of Special Judge Darne yesterday after the five-day police custody concluded. While the court remanded Prakash and Meena Salve in judicial custody, Aakash’s police custody was extended by three more days.

Talegaon Police have seized Aakash’s Blackberry and Apple mobile phones, his car and a bike. “Two more cars used by him are yet to be seized,” the Talegaon police told the court. Meanwhile, Advocate Deepak Laddha, representing Prakash and Meena Salve, submitted an application stating that the deceased girl’s family members had come to the Salve household on the day of the incident.

“The girl’s family had abused the Salves over their caste and threatened them. Talegaon police did not register the complaint against the girl’s family, as they were present in the police station when the Salves had arrived there to lodge the complaint. Despite narrating the entire incident to police, they did not take cognisance of Prakash Salve”, said Advocate Laddha.

The court expressed its incapacity to take note of this application during the remand proceedings and directed the applicants to approach the superior police officers or concerned magistrate. 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK