After long wait, ITS secures green signal

Aug 20, 2013, 01:52 IST | A Correspondent

The Intelligent Traffic Signal would cover all major junctions and will be maintained by a private agency, which would take home 70 per cent of the fine collected and the remaining 30 per cent will be given to the civic body

While the much-awaited Intelligent Traffic System (ITS) has finally been approved by the civic body’s standing committee, theissue of collection of fine from offenders saw some objection.

Wasted resources: Though more than 120 CCTV cameras were installed, these remained unused due to a standoff between various members over appointment of private agency to collect fines. File Pic

By next month, major junctions in the city would be under CCTV surveillance. Though more than 120 cameras were installed, these remained unused due to a standoff between various members over appointment of a private agency for fine collection since 2010.

According to the proposal, a private agency was appointed to collect penalty from offenders and it would take a whopping 70 per cent share from the collections. The rest 30 per cent would be given to the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC).

However, opposition parties have strongly objected this proposal. When a consensus was to be taken, 10 elected representatives voted for the proposal while 5 were against it. Owing to majority in favour, the proposal was finally passed.

These cameras will capture the image of the violating vehicle and after tracing the address of the owner, a notice will be sent to him. The amount of fine collected from two-wheelers will be Rs 200 and Rs 500 from four-wheelers.

In the last two years, the civic body tried to appoint a private agency for managing and controlling the ITS. However, it did not get any response from private agencies. Earlier in February 2010, the standing committee members had rejected a proposal of appointing an agency as the members felt that it was not civic body’s responsibility to impose fines, but the traffic police and the private agency should be involved. BJP Corporator Hemant Rasne said, “The proposal has been implemented hastily, the administration has not done a proper study. The amount of fine is baseless. 

PMC administration and ruling parties don’t have answers to even basic questions like how the fine will be recovered, how that system can work for 24 hours etc.” After conducting a tendering process, Polestar-Water front consortium, a private agency was appointed for maintaining the system. “Traffic police and RTO are ready to co-operate in the procedure. The agency will send notice to the law violators. It will keep a check on speeding vehicles. The proposal has been sent to the General Body (GB) and expected to be implemented next month,” said Vishal Tambe, chairman, standing committee.

Go to top