After taking Rs 6 lakh ransom and car, abductors want more

Jul 29, 2013, 00:52 IST | Priyanka Deshpande

45-year-old handicapped trader Manish Seth claimed he paid his abductors last year to be set free but they struck again, and are still threatening him

Six persons were booked by officials of the Borivli police station for harassing a handicapped businessman for the last one year.

Manish Seth
At the receiving end: Manish Seth. Pic/Abhinav Kocharekar

The accused were identified as Babloo Vinay Singh, Salim Khan, Avinash, Amar Singh, Santosh and Munna, who are at large.

Officials said the accused, posing as D Company gangsters, abducted 45-year-old garment trader Manish Seth in May 2012 and released him after receiving a ransom of Rs 6 lakh.

Seth said, “On May 8, 2012, I had gone to visit a local car showroom named D K Motors after one of its attendants named Salim Shaikh called me to see a new car. While on my way home, a gang of six men intercepted my vehicle and kidnapped me. They forced me into their car and assaulted me brutally.”

He added that the abductors warned him of dire consequences if he did not pay them Rs 10 lakh to secure his release. “After a lot of negotiation the amount was settled at Rs 6 lakh. They then drove me to my house in a Scoprio car and waited downstairs until I retuned with the money, and left after I gave them the cash.”

Round two
Seth said that after this harrowing experience his life attained normalcy, until the goons once again called him in March this year and demanded protection money. 

“On March 8, they intercepted my car and asked me to step out. When I did, they drove off with my car, following which I lodged a complaint at the Borivli police station. Though the officials didn’t register an FIR, they managed to retrieve my Honda Civic by April 24.”

But the reprieve was short-lived and once again the goons started threatening Seth. Unable to bear it any further, Seth complained to home minister, police commissioner and joint commissioner of police. It was after his visits to the authorities that an FIR was registered against the accused at the Borivli police station.

“I don’t know why the police have not been able to catch them, as they are still roaming free, making our lives difficult.”

Senior Inspector Narayan Khaire of Borivli police said, “We haven’t arrested anyone yet because the investigation is on.” 

Go to top