Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan's 'Tamma Tamma Again' gets a thumbs-up from Bappi Lahiri
Bappi Lahiri, composer-singer of 1990 chartbuster, says he recorded some portions of the latest remix 'Tamma Tamma Again' in Hollywood
Mostly, yesteryear Bollywood musicians don't favour the current trend of revamping old numbers. But, Bappi Lahiri comes from a different school of thought. Besides appreciating new versions of old tracks, the veteran composer-singer agreed to re-record his parts for the Tamma Tamma song in Karan Johar's Badrinath Ki Dulhania.
"Old is gold. But, I am glad that Tamma Tamma is back. I love to sing for today's generation and was glad to re-record my parts in Hollywood and send them across to the makers of Badrinath Ki Dulhania. I feel the number has been mixed very well. I love it," says Lahiri, adding that he also enjoyed watching the song's video featuring Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan.
The original song from Thanedaar (1990) had Madhuri Dixit Nene and Sanjay Dutt matching steps. Praising Alia and Varun in the new track, Bappi says, "Varun and Alia make for my favourite jodi. They look fantastic in the video. Their dance is outstanding and the choreography looks fresh."
Did you know?
Sanjay Dutt was not comfortable doing a few steps in Tamma Tamma, so dance director Saroj Khan got Jaaved Jafferi on board as Dutt's body double for the song.
Inspiring history of Tamma Tamma
- Guinean vocalist Mory Kante's hit 1987 song Yeke Yeke 'inspired' many Bollywood composers.
- Laxmikant-Pyarelal allegedly copied it for Jumma Chumma (Hum; 1991) and Bappi Lahiri did it for Tamma Tamma Loge (Thanedaar; 1990).
- The composers had a duel in the press over who had been 'inspired' by the song first.
- The tune of Yeke Yeke also played as background score in Agneepath (1990) when Amitabh Bachchan's character visits Mauritius.
- Pelli Kala Vachesindhe Bala, a song from Telugu film Preminchukundam Raa (1997), also sounds similar to Yeke Yeke.
- Some parts of Yeh Kaali Kaali Aakhein from Baazigar (1993) have an uncanny resemblance with the Kanté track.