Altercation between hawkers turns bloody

Jul 19, 2012, 07:13 IST | Sandip Kolhatkar

Two killed, one injured as father-son duo stabs trio with sharp objects for setting up stall on footpath near Vishrambaugwada

Two roadside hawkers were murdered and one was seriously injured after a father-son hawker duo attacked them with sharp objects yesterday following an altercation over setting up a fruit stall on the footpath on Bajirao Road near Vishrambaugwada. The incident occurred during busy market hoursin the afternoon.

Collecting evidence: A constable takes samples of blood from the spot where Sachin Kundale, Sagar Lahare and Kailas Chavan were stabbed by Dattatray Tambade and his son Sagar. Pic/Sandip Kolhatkar

The Vishrambaug police officials arrested Dattatray Tambade (55) and his son Sagar (25). The victims were identified as Sachin Kundale (35), Sagar Lahare (25) and Kailas Chavan. While Kundale and Lahre died in the attack, Chavan sustained grievous injuries.  The police officials said the accused ran a fruit stall on the footpath, which was in close proximity to the stall selling cosmetics that was owned by the victims. 

“On Wednesday afternoon, Dattatray, who had returned after attending Pandharpur wari, was setting up the fruit stall at his usual place near Vishrambaugwada with the help of his son Sagar when the victims objected. This led to an altercation between them,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone I) Makarand Ranade said yesterday. “The dispute turned into an ugly brawl and in a fit of rage, Dattatray and Sagar stabbed the three fellow hawkers with sharp objects and fled the spot.”

The traffic police and Mandai police chowki officials reached the spot and rushed the victims to the hospital. While Kundale was declared dead on arrival, Lahare succumbed to injuries during operation.

Dattatray and Sagar were arrested soon after the incident and were booked under Sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) of the Indian Penal Code. Ranade said the hawkers had been operating illegally in the area.

“The Pune Municipal Corporation’s anti-encroachment cell had taken action against them in the past. But they had returned to the spot and started the business again,” Ranade said. 

Go to top