Another woman gang-raped in Delhi, 4 arrested

Feb 08, 2013, 07:03 IST | Agencies

A 24-year-old was first gang-raped by an acquaintance and three of his friends; she was later molested when the four bundled her into a car

A 24-year-old woman was allegedly gang-raped by four people, including an acquaintance, in Delhi’s Swaroop Nagar, police said on Thursday. All her attackers have been arrested. The incident came to light on Wednesday night when a Police Control Room (PCR) van tried to flag down a car which had tinted glasses, in the city’s Burari area.

The car sped away seeing the PCR van. But a message was flashed to other PCR vans and the accused were nabbed. “The car was chased, overtaken and all the accused — identified as Mohammed Shakil alias Ali (23), Mohammed Irshad (30), Mohammed Abid, (21), and Lajpatrai Sachdeva, (38) — were arrested around 2.53 am on Thursday,” Deputy Commissioner of Police Sindhu Pillai said.

Won’t be silenced: Activists hold placards as they protest against the earlier gang rape and murder of the 23-year-old student in New Delhi. Pic/AFP

The victim was then rescued, Pillai added. The woman told police that first she was gang-raped in Swaroop Nagar and later was assaulted again in the moving car. “The victim, who knows Shakil, had gone to meet him in Swaroop Nagar on Wednesday night. The accused was present with his three other friends, who took her to nearby Uttarakhand Colony and gang-raped her,” said Pillai.

“After committing the crime, the accused bundled the victim in a car and were heading towards Burari,” he added. “The medical report of the victim confirmed rape. A case against the accused has been registered,” the official said. The victim hails from 24-Parganas district in West Bengal and stays with her brother-in-law in Sector-16 of the capital’s Rohini area.        

Girl confined, raped for 12 days in Delhi
An 18-year-old girl was repeatedly raped for 12 days by her former landlord’s son, said police. Her alleged attacker Naushaad was arrested on Wednesday and hunt is now on for a woman who played a key role. “On Jan 23, the girl had gone to purchase medicines where the accused met her and took her in his car at a secluded place. When the victim regained consciousness, she found herself raped. She was confined to the room and raped repeatedly for 12 days,” said a police officer. 

Go to top