1984 anti-Sikh riots case: Timeline of events
Congress leader Sajjan Kumar was Tuesday acquitted by a Delhi court of all charges for allegedly conspiring and inciting a mob during the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
The Congress leader has been facing trial for 29 years with Balwan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal, Kishan Khokkar and Captain Bhagmal for allegedly conspiring and inciting a mob against the Sikh community.
Timeline of the events:
* November 1984: Sikhs were killed in the riots following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
* Feb 8, 2005: Justice G.T. Nanavati Commission appointed to look into the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, submits its report.
* October 2005: A case is registered by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the recommendation of the Nanawati Commission.
* Feb 1, 2010: Court issues summons against Sajjan Kumar and seven other accused -- Balwan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal, Kishan Khokkar, Captain Bhagmal, Maha Singh and Santosh Rani. Six accused are alive and facing trial.
* Feb 8, 2010: Delhi High court appoints special public prosecutor R.S. Cheema to conduct the trial on a daily basis so that the proceedings can be concluded in six months.
* Feb 15, 2010: Sajjan Kumar's anticipatory bail rejected by additional sessions judge.
* Feb 17, 2010: Non-bailable warrants issued against Sajjan Kumar.
* Feb 23, 2010: Sajjan Kumar untraceable.
* Feb 26, 2010: Anticipatory bail granted to Sajjan Kumar by the Delhi High Court.
* July 1, 2010: Prosecution produces 17 witnesses. Witnesses Jagdish Kaur, Jagsher Singh and Nirpreet Kaur identify Sajjan Kumar in court and depose against him.
* June 2011: Prosecution evidence ends.
* August 2011: Defence prosecution starts. They produce 17 witnesses, of whom six are officials from Delhi Police who depose in favour of Sajjan Kumar.
* April 2012: Prosecution concludes its arguments.
* January 2013: Defence concludes its arguments and a judgment is pronounced.
* April 30: District and sessions court acquits Sajjan Kumar, convicts former councillor Balwan Khokkar, former legislator Mahender Yadav, Kishan Khokkar, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal.