Arrest warrant issued against retired top cop

Jan 30, 2013, 08:23 IST | Samarth Moray

Bandra court issues non-bailable warrant against former ACP Prakash George for failing to appear in court; the retired cop says, 'Warrants come and go'

The Bandra Metropolitan Magistrate Court on Friday issued a non-bailable warrant against retired Ghatkopar Crime Branch ACP Prakash George, for not complying with court orders. On three earlier occasions, the court had issued bailable warrants against George, but he still failed to show up in court to give his say on an affidavit in an attempted murder case.  The case was registered at Bandra police station in December 2010, when George was the senior inspector there.

On December 29 last year, a non-bailable warrant was issued against him, but the Tilak Nagar police reported to the court that they could not execute it as George was ‘taking treatment’ in Kerala. Interestingly, the complainant in the case, lawyer Mehervan Irani told MiD DAY that an Additional Public Prosecutor had sought special permission to appear on George’s behalf in the Sessions Court, for an unrelated case.  “I am certain that George is somewhere in the city itself,” Irani said, while alleging that George was deliberately avoiding appearing in court.

Case background
On December 12, 2010, Mehervan and his brother returned to their home at Dawn Bungalow, and noticed the light switched on the first floor.  Several persons were removing items from the house and storing it in a parked tempo. Some of the persons stepped ahead to chase way the brothers, and an argument ensued. In the melee, one accused allegedly pulled out a pistol and aimed it at Mehervan. 

Rajeev Pandya, another accused, yelled at him and told him not to shoot. Mehervan then pulled out his licenced revolver and fired two shots in the air, forcing the attackers to flee.  After the cops arrived, Mehervan voluntarily handed his revolver to Inspector SB Bande and told him he had fired two rounds in the air. He also gave the police his expensive camera, from which he had taken photographs of the aftermath.

When all the men were taken to the Bandra police station, Mehervan was surprised as the police had registered a case of attempted murder against him. Both he and his brother spent nearly two weeks in jail as undertrials. According to Mehervan, George’s say is necessary so that he can get back his arms licence and camera, which were both taken by police at the time of the incident. 

The other side
When contacted George said, “I have retired from the force. I’m now relaxing, in Kerala. I’m not aware of any such warrant. Warrants come and go.”

Go to top