Aspiring Mumbai cops in hospital after collapsing in physical test

Jun 08, 2013, 07:15 IST | Anuradha Varanasi

While intermittent pre-monsoon showers have brought some respite to miserable Mumbaikars, the easement proved inadequate for 10 aspiring police constables on Thursday afternoon

These candidates, who were undergoing physical tests for Mumbai police’s recruitment of constables in Ghatkopar, ended up in Rajawadi hospital after suffering severe dehydration.

Ten candidates were rushed to Rajawadi Hospital after suffering severe dehydration following a 5-km run. File pic

Of the 10, seven were in the male medical ward, while three were admitted to the Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU), said doctors at the hospital. “We had to sprint five kilometres in the scorching heat as part of the physical test, and after completing the run many of us started feeling weak, and a while later I experienced giddiness. When the symptoms did not subside we were taken to the hospital,” said a candidate, requesting anonymity. On being asked if they were supplied with adequate water during the tests, the aspirants refused to comment, stating that they did not want to jeopardise their chances of recruitment.

“The cases came in between 1:30 pm and 6 pm. All of them were suffering from heat stroke. Seven of the ten had dehydration, low blood sugar and electrolyte imbalance. The remaining three were in really bad condition when they were brought here. Not only were they severely dehydrated, most of them were unconscious too,” said Dr Rajini Jagtap from Rajawadi hospital. She added that after being brought to the institute’s casualty ward, all the patients exhibited disorientation and were experiencing bouts of fainting.

Rohan Jagtap (25), Vittal Bhandge (24) and Amol Bavaskar (25) are currently recuperating from Thursday’s heat in the MICU of the civic-run hospital. All the candidates are in their mid-twenties and reside in different parts of the city. The condition of the patients is now stable, and doctors say they are showing signs of improvement. The two in the general ward will be kept under observation for another day, and are being given intravenous (IV) fluids. Five of the patients were discharged yesterday evening. When contacted, DCP Satyanarayan Chaudhary, official spokesperson of Mumbai police, requested us to call him back an hour later, but, despite repeated attempts he could not be reached again.

Go to top