Australian Open: Laura Siegemund stuns Victoria Azarenka in Round 1

Updated: Jan 16, 2019, 08:44 IST | Agencies

Unseeded Laura stuns ex-World No. 1 and two-time champ Victoria Azarenka 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-2 in first round

Australian Open: Laura Siegemund stuns Victoria Azarenka in Round 1
Victoria Azarenka serves to Laura Siegemund during their Australian Open women’s singles match in Melbourne yesterday. Pics/AFP

Germany's Laura Siegemund ousted former World No. 1 and two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka yesterday to advance to the second round of the Australian Open.

Siegemund rallied from a set and a break deficit to beat the Belarusian 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2 in a marathon match that lasted for almost three hours, reports Efe news.
The German trailed 7-6(5), 4-2 in the opening set but finally walked away with a dramatic victory. "I played a good first set and even though I was up in the tie-break, I let go a little bit and she was right there," Siegemund said after the match.

Laura Siegemund
Laura Siegemund

'Stayed focused'
"I kind of reset myself and knew I was playing a good match, and I just had to close in those situations. In the third set, I stayed very focused. I knew she wasn't going to hand me the match, and I just had to (take) it," she added. Siegemund will now play against No.28 seed Hsieh Su-wei, who beat Stefanie Voegele in her first round match, 6-2, 6-1.

Halep survives scare
Meanwhile, World No. 1 Simona Halep admitted she was struggling for form after narrowly surviving a first-round scare at the Australian Open, saying she had "no expectations" about how far she can go at the season-opening Grand Slam. The Romanian had to dig deep for a win against Kaia Kanepi, the unseeded Estonian who dumped her from last year's US Open first round. Halep said she was proud of the fight she showed grinding out a 6-7 (2/7), 6-4, 6-2 victory.

Catch up on all the latest sports news and updates here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates

This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever

DISCLAIMER: mid-day and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

Indian cricketers condemn the Pulwama terror attack

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK