Authorities file complaint against inmate absconding for last 3 years

Oct 07, 2013, 03:53 IST | Asalil Urunkar

Amitabh Roy, convicted for murder, was supposed to return to Yerawada prison on Jan 11, 2011, after he secured a month's leave in December 2010

The Yerawada central Jail administration woke up from its deep slumber and registered a case against an inmate on Saturday, almost three years after he jumped parole.

A case was registered against inmate Amitabh Sameer Roy, currently at large, under section 224 (resistance or obstruction by a person to his lawful apprehension) of Indian Penal Code based on a complaint lodged by prison clerk Sanjay Tapale.

Sources said Roy, a resident of Hadapsar, had provided name and address of his relatives residing in the area before the jail authorities sanctioned his parole.

He was serving life sentence after he was convicted in a murder case. He was lodged in the open jail and was expected to return to prison on January 11, 2011.

Senior Inspector Raghunath Jadhav of Yerawada police station said, “Roy was given a month’s leave, but he jumped parole. He had provided name and address of his aunt for seeking parole.”

When questioned about the delay in registering a case against Roy, jail authorities refused to comment.

Jadhav said, “The jail officials approached us to lodge a case against Roy after Additional Director General of Police (Prison) Meeran Borwankar instructed them to do so.

Roy had almost completed his 14-year term and would have been released in the seven to eight months had he returned. But now he will have to serve additional sentence for jumping parole.” 

Undertrial attempts suicide
An undertrial, identified as Veer, attempted suicide yesterday evening in the Yerawada central jail. He was lodged in circle number 1 and was arrested for his alleged involvement in a murder case. The incident happened around 7 pm when jail authorities were busy making arrangements to accommodate protesters who were arrested by local police. While the jail staff was elsewhere engaegd, Veer slashed himself with a blade following which he was rushed to the Sassoon General Hospital, said sources. 

Go to top