International Yoga Day: Baba Ramdev, Devendra Fadnavis perform yoga in Nanded
The event, which was organised by Ramdev's organisation Patanjali, saw thousands of people performing various yoga asanas
Nanded: On the fifth edition of International Yoga Day, Yoga guru Baba Ramdev along with Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis performed yoga on Friday. Several other followers also performed yoga in an event held in Nanded.
The event, which was organised by Ramdev's organisation Patanjali, saw thousands of people performing various yoga asanas. Fadnavis was also seen following various yoga postures. The organisation also organised programs in one lakh villages across India.
Reportedly, the theme of 5th International Yoga Day 2019 is "Climate Action".
The word "Yoga" is derived from the Sanskrit root 'yuj' meaning "to join", "to yoke" or "to unite". Yoga is based on an extremely subtle science which focuses on bringing harmony between mind and body. Yoga works on one's body, mind, emotion and energy.
The main Yoga Day event will be held in Jharkhand's Ranchi at 6.30 am in Jharkhand where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will perform Yoga along with the other participants.
As many as 30,000 people are expected to participate in the event, for which security has been beefed up across the city.
Several departments of the defence have taken part in yoga in the run-up to the fifth international yoga day. The striking yogic poses have now become a norm amongst the defence personnel in India.
Personnel of 9th Battalion of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) also performed 'River Yoga' in Digaru river near Teju, Lohitpur this morning.
In the United Nation, Yoga day was celebrated on Thursday that would be followed by a panel of discussion today.
The idea of the International Day of Yoga was first proposed by PM Modi during his speech at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on September 27, 2014.
Top News Stories of the Day
- Mumbai crime: Man thrashed to death, body thrown into nullah in Ghatkopar
- Mumbai: Upmarket boat snaps mid-journey on Madh island, two residents nearly-drown
- Attack on web series crew: CM Devendra Fadnavis assures action against cops if found guilty
- Mumbai crime: Man kills elder brother for plucking mangoes from his tree in Palghar
- Mumbai: BEST set to reduce base bus fare to Rs 5
- Five years on, Western Railway finally gets BMC nod for Jogeshwari escalators
- Mumbai: Let us use road inside Godrej compound, Ghatkopar locals urge
- Mumbai: Borivli school's fight with BMC reaches SC
- Mumbai: Titwala man to take railways to court for delays
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Indian Forces include dogs and horses to celebrate International Yoga Day!