Bahrain mourner shot, FI concerns deepen
A mourner shot by police was in intensive care on Saturday in protest-hit Bahrain as Formula One bosses said next week's Grand Prix will proceed as planned, despite fears it could spark anti-regime protests.
The 15-year-old youth was shot by anti-riot police while attending the funeral of a citizen journalist killed during a protest in the Gulf kingdom late last month, the opposition said.
Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Aziz was among several people wounded during the funeral ceremony for Ahmed Ismail, 22, said Al-Wefaq, the main Shiite opposition movement in the Sunni-ruled nation with a Shiite-majority population. Abdel Aziz sustained bullet wounds to the chest as police fired tear gas and live rounds at mourners.
F1 governing body the FIA (Federation Internationale de l’Automobile) and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone both said in Shanghai that the April 22 Bahrain event would take place.
However, the controversial Bahrain event has overshadowed the lead-up to the Shanghai race, and many teams are believed to have grave concerns about the Gulf event.