Balloon seller killed in cylinder explosion

Published: 18 November, 2013 01:54 IST | A Correspondent |

Around 2.30 am on Sunday, Chotu Sangu Kale (32) and his associate Bhagwant Ramchandra Chavhan (15) were filling toy balloons with helium inside the volleyball ground of Mahaveer Jain Vidyalaya on BMCC Road, when one of their two cylinders exploded. The teenager was killed on the spot.

The area where explosion took place is flanked by a boys hostel, but except a loud noise there was no other damage. Cops from Deccan police station hurried to the spot on getting information. 

Hot air: The two helium cylinders, one of which had exploded. Pic/Krunal Gosavi

Chavhan was taken to Sassoon Hospital, but he had already breathed his last. Kale was initially taken to Ratna Hospital and later shifted to Surya Hospital for treatment.

He has 25 to 28 per cent burn injuries on his face, chest and stomach. Both victims are residents of Pullachi Vadi near Z Bridge in Deccan area. Deccan police station has filed a case of accidental death, but an investigation is on to determine the exact reason for the blast.

Could’ve been worse
Fire officer Rajesh Jagtap from Erandawane fire station, who went to spot, said, “By the time we reached, the fire was under control and one person had died. The cylinders were filled with helium gas, which is dangerous and safety precautions must be taken while inflating balloons.

While one of the cylinders had detonated, the other had become extremely hot. So, we first cooled it down, and took the articles from the spot to Deccan police station.”

Did you know?
Inhaling helium temporarily changes the sound of a person's voice. Though helium is non-toxic, breathing it can result in asphyxiation. 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK