Banned Asif hopes for justice from CAS in February hearing
Disgraced former Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif said yesterday his appeal against a seven-year ban for spot-fixing will be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in February
The 29-year-old was jailed by a British court in November last year after being found guilty of corruption charges over deliberate no-balls during the Lord’s Test against England in August 2010. Teammates Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir were also jailed in the same case. All three were freed earlier this year.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) also handed the trio long bans. But Asif, who returned to Pakistan on Sunday, told reporters he had taken his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sports. “I have come home after one year and missed my family, friends and my country. My appeal against the ICC ban will be heard in February next year and I hope that I will get justice,” said Asif.
How Virat Kohli is training for the world cup!