mid-day exclusive: 'Befikre' star Vaani Kapoor lists 5 steps to master the streets of Paris
How Vaani Kapoor transformed into Ranveer Singh's 'Raju' guide on streets of Paris for Aditya Chopra's 'Befikre'
Vaani Kapoor in Befikre; (inset) Ranveer Singh
* I had to perfect my French diction so that it didn't sound fake. The round of applause I received when I spoke the language at the trailer launch in Paris was a reassurance.
* I allowed myself to settle into the local cafes and tiny eateries because it was crucial that I looked like a girl who was in love with her city. Parisians often grab a cup of coffee at a quaint café and gaze outside the windows.
* Your perspective of a city changes after you shop for groceries there. In Paris, they sell fresh produce on the streets and I picked a lot of colloquial quirks and mannerisms from the interactions I had with the fruit sellers and vegetable vendors.
* The scarves and bracelets that I grabbed from local boutiques and flea markets added to my character's personality. A typical charms bracelet with miniatures of all things peculiar to the city – Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Love Locks and the heart, a symbol of romance – is sported often by the citizens.
* Since Parisians cherish their holidays, I made it a point to indulge in the same activities that they partake in. I learnt to sit by the river Seine, break into impromptu dances and dig my teeth into ice creams. Paris is all about soaking the beauty in.
As told to Mohar Basu
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
mid-day.com exclusive: Ranbir Kapoor's candid confessions