Binny, India's only orangutan, dies in Odisha Zoo
Binny was under treatment for the last one year by experts from the College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry OUAT who were under constant advice of the Orangutan experts from UK and Singapore
Bhubaneswar: A 41-year-old orangutan at Odisha's Nandankanan Zoological Park died in Bhubaneshwar on Wednesday following a prolonged illness. The country's lone orangutan 'Binny' passed away around 9:40 pm on Wednesday due to old-age related ailments followed by respiratory tract infection
Sources said, "Since the last three days, she was suffering from cold and old age related respiratory tract issues. Accordingly, treatment was going on."
Bhubaneswar: 41-year-old orangutan of Nandankanan Zoological Park passed away around 9:40 pm yesterday due to old-age related ailments followed by respiratory tract infection. It was undergoing treatment since last one year. #Odisha pic.twitter.com/RAE4LSUg8o— ANI (@ANI) May 29, 2019
The great ape was under treatment for the last one year by experts from the College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry OUAT who were under constant advice of the Orangutan experts from UK and Singapore. A postmortem is scheduled on Friday to ascertain the exact cause of death.
Binny was brought to Nandankanan Zoo from Pune's Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park on November 20, 2003, when she was 25. Orangutans are one of the world's three extant species of great apes and are native to Indonesia and Malaysia. Orangutans are currently found only in the rain forests of Borneo and Sumatra.
Considered to be among the most intelligent primates, orangutans can live up to 45 years in the wild and even more in zoos, according to experts.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Dr Payal Tadvi thought of suicide in November
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Bruises on Dr Payal Tadvi's back point to murder, says lawyer
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: How were three accused first to find Dr Payal Tadvi's body, ask cops
- Mumbai doctor suicide: What we know so far about Dr Payal Tadvi's death
- Twitter user trolls IRCTC for vulgar ads on app; their epic reply will leave you in splits
- Twitterati celebrate Narendra Modi's swearing-in ceremony
- Granddaughter takes 97-year-old woman for first prom; internet in tears
- See Photos: Large rat snake pops out of shopping cart; supermarket employee gets shock of his life
- Mumbai: Doctor in the dock for burning woman's face in Dahisar
- Mumbai: Jewellery goes missing from City Co-Op Bank's safe in Dahisar
- Check CCTV footage, says accused Lemon Salon hairstylist
- SGNP's star Yash who died of cancer was adopted by Aaditya Thackeray
- Mumbai: BMC chief finds way to fix Hindmata issue
- Will Maharashtra grab all its berths in Modi Cabinet?
- 'The Coastal Road is not only about South Mumbai'
- Explosion of CNG tank led to BEST bus fire near Gokhuldham market, Goregaon
- CSMT bridge collapse: Cops still await BMC sanction to file charge sheet against civic officials
- Amruta Fadnavis brings the house down with rocking performance in USA
- These photos of Narendra Modi will give you major travel goals!
- Love again! These famous people got married more than once
- Differently abled delivery man gets new E-vehicle, Twitter celebrates
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
International Sushi Day: Learn how to make mouthwatering Sushi at home from this Mumbai chef!