Bittersweet truth emerges at diabetes screening camp

Published: 21 November, 2013 02:26 IST | Neha LM Tripathi |

Out of 1,039 people screened at the D Y Patil hospital on World Diabetes Day, 43% were found to have high sugar

As part of the World Diabetes Day, the diabetes specialty centre at DY Patil Hospital organised free screening camps at 10 different locations in Navi Mumbai. The booths were set up in Nerul, Juinagar, Sanpada and Seawoods, and members of the public were screened from 6 am to 9 am on November 14.

Health is wealth: Over a thousand people turned up at the diabetes screening camp conducted by the D Y Patil hospital at 10 different locations in Navi Mumbai on the occasion of World Diabetes Day on November 14

1,039 people were tested for blood glucose levels, of which 595 (56.97 per cent) were non-diabetic while the remaining 447 people (43.03 per cent) were found to have high levels of sugar in their blood. These included 61 people (5.88 per cent) who were diagnosed with the disorder for the first time.

Keeping in mind that diabetes is a progressive disorder, making it necessary to go in for treatment at the earliest, the hospital later organised a special meet for the affected people on November 17.

The diabetic forum began at around 8.30 am and carried on till 1pm. Doctors educated people about the disorder and the necessary precautions to be taken by all. This forum was organised at the college building of D Y Patil in Nerul.

“As it was World Diabetes Day, we held the camp to help people understand the serious impact of diabetes and know, where possible, how to avoid or delay diabetes and its complications,” said Dr Mahesh Padsalge, consulting diabetologist.

The causes of diabetes, types and common symptoms were also discussed. Participants were enlightened about the disease and its control. “We gained a lot of information about diabetes through the programme,” said a lady who attended the function.

Keeping an ideal body weight and an active lifestyle may prevent type 2 diabetes

High blood sugar levels can cause several symptoms, including:
> Blurry vision
> Excessive thirst
> Fatigue
> Hunger
> Frequent urination
> Weight loss 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK