Businessman promises 23-yr-old film role, rapes her at knifepoint

Jan 28, 2014, 15:11 IST | Saurabh Vaktania

Garment businessman asks survivor to accompany him to meet a producer; takes her into a house and rapes her at knifepoint while his friends stand guard at the door

A 23-year-old woman was raped by a garment businessman in Bandra, who promised to help her bag roles in films. Two of the businessman’s friends guarded the doors while she was raped inside. The police have arrested all the three accused.

Police Inspector Anil Desai from Nirmal Nagar police station said, “We have arrested the 28-year-old main accused Mukhtiyar Khaliluddin Khan alias Sameer for raping the woman. Two of his friends Sajid Zakir Ali (40) and Maqsood Ahmed Rashid Sheikh (40) guarded the door while Khan was raping her.”

Desai added, “We have arrested the accused under sections 376 (rape), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 34 (common intention) of the IPC, as well as a relevant section of the Bombay Police Act. On Monday, they were produced in Bandra court and remanded in police custody till January 30.”

The woman worked in a private company but wanted a better-paying job. While travelling on a local train, she came in contact with a woman who introduced herself as Reshma Qureshi.

They met every day, and she confided in her friend about her poor financial circumstances. A month ago, she got a call from Khan, who told her that he had some roles to offer her in a film. He asked her to meet him in Goregaon. They met a few days later, and he took her to the Film City studio and showed her around.

On Saturday, he called her to a hotel in Bandra, on the pretext of discussing a role. When she arrived, he asked her to accompany him to Behrampada, saying that a producer was waiting for them there.

Khan then took her to a small house in the area, where Ali and Sheikh were present. Khan locked the door from inside and raped her at knifepoint. Threatening her with dire consequences, he then asked her to leave. The survivor called her brother, after which they went to the police station to register an FIR.

Related News

Go to top