Blind stray from Ghatkopar finds forever home in US
A US-based couple adopt a blind stray dog from Ghatkopar
A blind stray dog born in Ghatkopar has found his ‘forever home’ in the United States. Meher, the female stray dog on Thursday will be flying to Dulles, Northern Virginia to live a happy life with the American couple, Pete and Jill Petrilli, who adopted her after stumbling upon her video and pictures on Instagram.
According to animal rights activist Vinita Kalgutkar, who lives in Bhandup said, “This is the best thing to have happened to Meher. Along with Animal Adoption & Care (AAC) volunteers, I tried to find her a good home in Mumbai, to no avail. I had also made social media postings to show how she manages well with her strong sense of smell alone. These postings ultimately helped!”
According to TOI, Activist Vinita Kalgutkar saw the female dog Meher as a pup at the Bombay Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Parel in a kennel, where somebody had dropped her. “I noticed the pup wouldn’t lift her head up. When I picked her up, I realized she was blind. So we decided to do something for her,” she added. But when she returned to the animal; centre a few days later, “we were told the animal ambulance had dropped her back to the Ghatkopar street from where she had been picked up for treatment. She was eventually found after we wrote about the issue to BSPCA trustees. Priti Bist, an animal lover who lives in Mulund, fostered her till the time I found her a forever home,” she informed.
When the American couple expressed their wish to adopt the dog, Meher, Vinita Kalgutkar realized that Ashraf Hussain, an US-based AAC volunteer lives in Northern Virginia and could check up on them for background information. Hussain met the couple in Dulles and happily reported with a positive response. An Indian pet relocation service, Furry Flyers arranged for transportation formalities and airfare for Meher through crowdfunding, said Vinita Vinita Kalgutkar.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai police probe Aditya Pancholi for 'assault and exploitation'
- Sion Hospital rape: He threatened to strangle me to death, says victim
- Video of sickle brandishing 'dada' lands him in jail in Wakad
- Mumbai: Toy gun breaks off as caretaker tries to rob Malad businessmen
- Five years on, Mumbai University continues to use old, shabby library
- Mumbai recalls 'fine gentleman' Nazir Hoosein behind Liberty Cinema
- Carrom player accident: Dombivli residents want working traffic lights, dedicated cops
- Forced to leave Mumbai, Pandey now struggles as a tea-seller in Kashi
- New BMC chief Pravin Pardeshi brings engineers back from leave
- Mumbai: Charkop citizens protest BMC's tree 'trimming'
- Witness statements don't support Tanushree Dutta's sexual harassment story, says Mumbai cops
- Sleepless on SV Road: Mumbai Metro 2B din ruins nights of Santacruz residents
- Skymet: Below normal rainfall expected in monsoon, 15 per cent chance of drought
- Mumbai Crime: Nigerian duo arrested for stealing money from ATMs
- Body of unidentified woman found at Juhu Chowpatty
The article has been sourced from third-party source and Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. All information provided on this article is for informational purposes only.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe