Bombay High Court confirms death for convict in Andhra techie's rape-murder

Published: 20 December, 2018 20:42 IST | IANS | Mumbai

The court further said that they had not seen any "remorse" on the (then) 28-year-old accused, did not see a possibility of any reform, and "such a person remains a menace to society."

Bombay High Court
Bombay High Court

The Bombay High Court on Thursday confirmed the death penalty awarded by a lower court to Chandrabhan Sudam Sanap, convicted of the sensational 2014 rape-cum-murder of an Andhra Pradesh techie, Esther Anuhya in Mumbai.

A division bench comprising Justice Ranjit More and Justice Bharati Dangre, confirming a women's court verdict of December 2015 observed that the case fell in the "rarest of rare category" and had "shocked the conscience of society."

The court further said that they had not seen any "remorse" on the (then) 28-year-old accused, did not see a possibility of any reform, and "such a person remains a menace to society."

It was on January 5, 2014 when Esther, a 23-year old software engineer with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), was offered a lift by Sanap on his motorcycle from Lokmanya Tilak Terminus to her hostel in Andheri West.

Sanap raped and murdered Esther. Subsequently he burnt and disposed of her body at a desolate area on the Eastern Express Highway near Bhandup before driving away. Her half-burnt and decomposed body was found after 11 days when some pedestrians reported it.

Investigators who cracked the case nearly two months after she was reported missing said Sanap was a mobile phone thief and robbery was the main motive behind the crime.

That fateful morning around 5 a.m. Esther had returned by train to Mumbai by the Vishakhapatnam-LTT Express, after celebrating Christmas and New Year with her family in Machilipatnam.

En route, Sanap stopped the bike on the pretext that it had run out of petrol, then grabbed and dragged Esther to the bushes in the foggy darkness.

She strongly resisted him, but he repeatedly clobbered her with stones, raped and strangled her with a dupatta, took her two bags containing a laptop and other valuables and fled.

Later, he came back to search for her mobile phone but could not find it. He burnt her body and again left the crime scene.

Amid a series of protests and massive public support for Esther, the Mumbai Police and Railway Police succeeded in solving the case with the help of CCTV camera footages of that morning near the LTT premises and mobile call records.

Catch up on all the latest Crime, National, International and Hatke news here. Also, download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates

This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Except for the change in the headline, the story has been provided "AS-IS," "AS AVAILABLE, without any verification or editing from our side. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/ reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever.

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK