Brazil to appeal Neymar FIFA World Cup qualifying ban
Brazil's football confederation (CBF) has said it is preparing to launch an appeal against their star striker Neymar's ban from the Selecao's first two 2018 World Cup qualifiers
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil's football confederation (CBF) has said it is preparing to launch an appeal against their star striker Neymar's ban from the Selecao's first two 2018 World Cup qualifiers.
Neymar is still serving a four-match suspension delivered after his sending off in Brazil's 0-1 loss to Colombia during the Copa America in Chile last month, reports Xinhua.
But the CBF said it will argue the ruling should only apply to matches under the jurisdiction of South American football's governing body Conmebol. World Cup qualifiers fall directly under the control of world governing body FIFA.
"We are going to submit an appeal to Conmebol and to FIFA," said the CBF's secretary general Walter Feldman on Thursday.
"Our interpretation is that the Copa America is continental and therefore is not specifically related to the World Cup qualifiers. As far as we are concerned Neymar is apt to play in the first qualifier. After studying the situation we feel that our chance (of a successful appeal) is big."
The South American World Cup qualifying draw will be held in Saint Petersburg, Russia, on July 25.