Candidates face the brunt of law colleges admission goof-ups
Several high-scoring students still don’t have a seat after system error leads to a messy fourth list
CETâÂÂcandidates Shreeya Mehta and Haresh Tambe
In a fresh twist to the ongoing chaos of the already-delayed law admissions, the Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (CET) cell has realised that several low-scorers have been allotted seats over high-scorers due to a glitch in its system. The issue came to light after the Maharashtra CET cell called back its fourth merit list, which had been declared on October 14.
Students have now demanded a review of the entire process to ensure that the admissions are not compromised. However, the CET cell is insisting that the glitch only affected the fourth merit list.
On October 14, a circular was issued by the cell on its website declaring that there was a system error in the fourth list. A new allotment list was declared two days later. Now, there are several cases of candidates, who were given a seat in the initial fourth list, but don’t have a college after the corrected list was declared.
Rashmi Nagarkar, who lost an admission after the new list was declared, said, "They had given three days to confirm the admission. I decided to go the next day, but, by then the list was declared cancelled," said Rashmi.
However, for some fortunate others, who hurriedly took admissions on the same day when the faulty list was declared, the admission continues to stay. Shreeya Mehta, a candidate, who scored 77/150 in the CET is baffled how she is still without a seat when candidates scoring lesser than her have a college to their name. "The CET cell said that they are going to re-declare the fourth merit list because merit was violated. Yet, I have not been allocated a seat in the corrected list,” she said. "How are they so sure that there was no glitch while they declared the first three lists? They have to review the entire admission process to ensure merit is not compromised at any level,” said another candidate Haresh Tambe.
Hoping that the state government will take cognisance of the mess, Sachin Pawar, president of the Student Law Council, said, “The month of October is nearly over and law admissions are still on. How are colleges going to complete the syllabus? When will they conduct the tests? Is the government not bothered about quality of law education in state?”
Amol Matele, youth president of Nationalist Congress Party, who is also helping frustrated candidates said, “The mess in law admissions has gone beyond repair.”
When contacted, Chandrashekhar Oak, commissioner of state CET cell, said, “Some candidates approached the cell with complaints that their merit was violated in the fourth round. The cell checked the matter with the system and found a flaw in the allocation process. Some minority colleges also complained that though they had not surrendered the minority seats, they were allocated non-minority candidates. To ensure that meritorious students were not left out of the process, the authorities declared a new merit list. Colleges have also been informed.”