Constable kills lover, shoots himself in the head

Feb 21, 2013, 11:28 IST | Vinay Dalvi

Police learn that 40-yr-old assigned as judge's bodyguard was having fights with wife after he moved in with his 48-yr-old girlfriend, which may have led to murder and suicide

While making preparations for the Bharat bandh yesterday, the Tardeo police got an early morning call informing that a constable had shot himself dead with his service revolver. Little did they know that the case would take a sordid twist when a woman was also found shot dead in a building opposite the constable’s accommodation.

Sarvari Parvez Khan Dashrath Ankush Rane
Sarvari Parvez Khan, who constable Sudhir Ankush Rane shot with his service weapon at her fifth floor flat in Rajeev Nagar Co-operative Society before shooting himself. Pics/Milind Karekar

The police believe that Sudhir Ankush Rane (40), attached with the protection branch, allegedly shot his lover Sarvari Parvez Khan (48) and later ended his life, after his wife fought with his girlfriend. A call came in from the police control room at around 6 am informing them that a constable had shot himself at Building number 11, Government Quarters, behind Lala Lajpatrai College, near Race Course, Mahalaxmi.

Parvez house

“Upon reaching the quarters allotted to the constables at the building, we found that Rane who was assigned to protect a special judge of the TADA court, had shot himself dead with a 9mm pistol. Ghadegaonkar, another constable who was present in the room when it happened, informed the police,” said Manohar Hindalkar, police inspector of Tardeo police station.

Sarvari used to give loans on interest to locals and owned three flats in the area. While she lived in a fifth floor flat at Rajeev Nagar Co-operative Society, her son Nabil Khan lived in another and one she had rented out. The drama took a twist when Nabil arrived on the scene and learnt what had happened and rushed to check on his mother.

“When I found that Rane had shot himself, I tried to contact my mother, as I knew about their relationship. She did not answer repeated calls so I rushed to her flat, opened the door with a spare key and found her in a pool of blood,” Nabil said. “We started checking whether the constable had any links with the deceased woman who stayed opposite his servant quarters and learnt that he was in a relationship with her since the past two years,” Hindalkar said.

Rane’s wife had confronted Sarvari on two occasions blaming her for taking away her husband. “He had stopped going home and used to stay with Sarvari,” said Rahul Khilare, police sub inspector of Tardeo police station.

“Sarvari was found with two bullet wounds in the chest. Rane is believed to have returned to his service quarters after killing Sarvari and shot himself in the right side of the head. We are not sure what exactly went wrong, as we have not been able to speak to Rane’s wife yet,” said Vinayak Deshmukh, deputy commissioner of police, Zone III.

The police suspect that Rane’s wife might have called up late at night and an argument could have taken place, prompting him to go off the edge. Sarvari was married twice before, but both husbands died. She is survived by three sons. Rane has two sons and his family stays in Matunga Police Camp. “We have recovered Rane’s 9 mm service pistol,” said Hindalkar. 

Go to top