Controversy over National Games' event management company
Trouble’s been brewing since it became public that the event management company was paid Rs 10.62 crore
Thiruvananthapuram: With just 28 days left for the 35th National Games to be held in the state, a controversy has broken out with a section of the media boycotting all events related to the mega sporting event.
A section of the media here has been cut up after the Run Kerala Run, a promotional programme to be held at 7000 locations in the state on the 20th of this month to promote the games, was given to an event management company which is a sister company of one of Kerala’s leading regional dailies.
“This event is going to be one that is going to give Kerala a huge boost and to create a controversy for no reason should be avoided. But, if anyone has any complaint, they may give in writing on which immediate action will be taken,” Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said.
Trouble had been brewing since it became public that the event management company was paid R10.62 crore. For the past few days a section of the media has not been taking part in the routine press meetings and functions related to the games. Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan, Kerala Sports Minister, said that it’s most unfortunate that a needless controversy has been raked up. “We have followed the policy of inviting tenders for every activity related to the games including selecting the event management company. Everything is there in the website for anyone to see. I spoke to people and we have called a meeting on Tuesday when I will make things more clear,” said Radhakrishnan.