Cops on the hunt for grandmother and aunts of 13-month-old girl

Jan 04, 2013, 07:38 IST | A Correspondent

After the mother of the 13-month-old girl, who is undergoing treatment at a hospital attached to D Y Patil Medical College and Research Centre, confess to police that her husband and in-laws had battered he daughter, the cops have launched a manhunt for the accused.

While the police arrested Shaina Hikkery’s husband Dastgir Hikkery (30), his mother Salima Hikkery and sisters Shabana Shaikh and Shirin Shaikh are eluding the police.

Meanwhile, the girl’s relatives are waiting for the girl to recover enough strength so that doctors can operate on her. According to the child’s maternal grandfather, with whom the mother and child have bee living since the shocking truth was revealed, she may undergo surgery depending on her condition after a fortnight or a month.

In safer hands: The 13-month-old child is now living with her paternal grandfather after the police registered a case of attempt to murder against her father, paternal grandmother and two aunts. File Pic

“She is doing well, but cannot stand or walking yet. Doctor has advised us not to allow her to stand, as it will put load on her legs. She sometimes has pain and cries. Doctors have called us to the hospital for a check up after a few weeks,” said Abdul Gafar Shaikh, the child’s maternal grandfather.

Regarding the headway made in the investigation, Sub-Inspector Thenge, of the Hinjewadi police station said, “We have not got hold of the other accused as yet and we are searching for them. It seems that they have left the place knowing that they were going to be arrested.” 

Horror story
MiD DAY broke the story ‘Grandmother assaults 13-month-old for being a girl’ on December 31, 2012, after learning that the child had been admitted in the hospital on December 20 with serious-enough injuries for the doctors to suspect foul play. Police arrested the baby’s father and booked three others, who are absconding, under Section 307 (attempt to murder) of the IPC. The case was only registered after the child’s mother, who was being counselled, told the police that her child was being tortured because of being a girl. The woman’s husband was married and had two daughters from his first wife and had married again in the hope of getting a male heir.  

Go to top