Dad ends hunger strike, baby still missing

Published: 23 December, 2012 03:25 IST | Naveen Nair |

After struggling for two months, Jasmin and Devdas Naik withdrew their battle against the Nowrosjee Wadia Maternity Hospital yesterday. A senior Mumbai police official reportedly assured the couple that the cops would initiate an inquiry into the matter of the hospital's negligence.

Devdas Naik went on a hunger strike on December 20 after the hospital management and police failed to trace his baby, who was lost on October 24.

Abhishek Mahapankar, Jasmine’s brother, said, “A senior police official came to the hospital and requested Devdas to call off his hunger strike.

Devdas Naik was on a hunger strike since December 20 at Wadia Hospital

That’s why we decided to leave the hospital. He assured us that he would initiate an inquiry against the hospital management. He found that the hospital management did not install CCTV cameras even though the baby has been lost for two months.”

According to Mahapankar, after they left the hospital at around 12.30 pm, Jasmine went to her maternal family home while Devdas went to his Borivli residence.

Earlier, the Naiks had declared that they would not leave the hospital until the baby was found. When asked why they changed their decision, Mahapankar said, “The hospital management was not ready to take responsibility for their negligence.

However, now Mini Bodhanwala, CEO of the hospital has given us a letter in which the hospital has accepted its fault and taken responsibility for negligence that led to the kidnapping of the baby. So we took the decision to leave the hospital.”

Despite several attempts, the hospital authorities could not be reached for a comment.  

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK