Dead govinda lay unconscious for two hours

Aug 12, 2012, 08:31 IST | Saurabh Katkurwar

The 41 year-old Thane-based govinda was not a part of the pyramid-making team, post mortem report expected today

Deepak Tupe, a 41 year-old govinda, who passed away on August 10 during the dahi handi celebrations, was reportedly unconscious for more than two hours before he died.

Tupe’s relatives said they learnt about his condition only when a passer-by called up his brother from his mobile phone. His family immediately rushed Tupe to the civic hospital in Thane. They, however, failed to save Tupe’s life.

Nitin Yadav, cousin of the dead govinda Deepak Tupe (in picture), says Tupe was declared dead before arrival at a Thane hospital. 

Nitin Yadav, Tupe’s cousin, said he was shocked when he learnt about Tupe’s death. “Deepak participated in every festival. This time, on Friday, he went with the Hanuman Mitra Mandal for the dahi handi celebrations,” said Yadav. At around 8 pm, he added, a man called up Deepak’s brother and told them that Deepak was unconscious on the ground at Panchpakhadi. “We immediately called up our friends in Thane, who then admitted Deepak to Thane civic hospital.

He, however, was declared dead by the doctors at the hospital. We are shocked at how someone as healthy and careful as him fell unconscious and died despite not being part of the pyramid-making team. He accompanied them for moral support,” said Yadav, a sketch artist who stays near Tupe’s home in Takiya ward in Kurla (west).

Surprisingly, none of the other govindas knew Tupe was hurt until they learnt about his death. “We gathered in large numbers and didn’t realise that Tupe was around after a point. We rushed to the hospital after we learnt about his death from his brother,” said a govinda from the group, on condition of anonymity.

Tupe is survived by his wife, mother and father, who live in Varwadi village in Bhor, Pune. Tupe lived in Kurla with his brothers.

On Saturday, Tupe’s body was taken to Varwadi for the final rites.

The post mortem reports of Tupe’s death are expected today, which will ascertain the reason of his death. 

Little reason for revelry
Three govindas who sustained spinal cord-related injuries during the dahi handi celebration on Friday will be operated upon at KEM hospital.

According to Dr Pradeep Bhosale, professor and head of the department (orthopedic) at KEM hospital, the three govindas who have sustained cervical fractures will undergo major surgeries over next few days. Sandeep Asolkar (32) is in bad shape and doctors are “hoping for a miracle”. “The hospital will bear most of the surgery expenses, which would have cost the family a few lakhs of rupees. Asolkar will stay in the hospital for a few months after the surgery,” said Dr Bhosale. 

Go to top