Delhi gangrape: Prosecution seeks death for accused; sentencing on Friday

Sep 11, 2013, 14:39 IST | Agencies

A fast-track court in Delhi Wednesday reserved the order on sentencing the four convicted in the December 16 gangrape case to Friday.

During the arguments on Wednesday, death penalty was sought by the prosecution for the four men who were convicted for the gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old physiotherapy intern here.

The four already convicted in the case are: Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur and Mukesh.

Additional Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan sought death penalty for the attackers, saying they only deserve "death sentence" for the brutal crime.

Defence counsel, however, vehemently opposed the death penalty, saying "the factors outside the court room have effected the trial of the case".

The court Tuesday while convicting the four men, called the crime "premeditated" and "brutal".

It convicted the four men for gang raping the 23-year-old woman, inflicting grave injuries on her, and leaving her to die by a roadside on a cold Dec 16, 2012, night in an abhorring case that jolted the nation and made global headlines.

Delhi gangrape
People gather outside the Saket Court complex in New Delhi calling for the convicted to be hanged after they were found guilty of the brutal gang rape and murder of the 23-year-old. Pic/AFP

Additional Session Judge Yogesh Tuesday said the injuries on the victim, including "18 injuries" to her internal organs, inflicted by the accused were "dangerous" and " cause death".

The court said the convicts' act of inserting a rod into the body of the victim was done "intentionally" to kill her.

The gangrape occurred after the woman and her male companion boarded the bus in Munirka in south Delhi to return home after watching a movie.

The six attackers in the bus threw both the woman and her male companion out of the vehicle -- without clothes -- on the street in the cold December night after committing the crime, police said.

The woman died of her injuries Dec 29 at Singapore's Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

One of the six accused was found dead in a cell in Delhi's Tihar Jail while a juvenile involved in the crime was Aug 31 sent by the Juvenile Justice Board to a reform home for three years.

The incident sparked nationwide protests and nudged the central government into enacting a stringent anti-rape law.

Go to top