Diamond merchant's 13-yr-old son abducted and killed by cousin, aide

May 15, 2013, 08:19 IST | Vinay Dalvi

A 13-year-old boy was kidnapped, killed and his body dumped near Panvel on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway on Monday. Officers from V P Road police station and Unit II of the Mumbai Crime Branch later arrested the two men - the victim's cousin Himanshu Ranka and his accomplice Vrijesh Sanghvi

Aditya Ranka was the son of a diamond merchant, Jeetendra Ranka. The boy, who lived in Khetwadi, Girgaum, went missing on Monday. “On Monday, the family got a call from someone, who asked Aditya to come downstairs, saying that his father had sent a key that should be handed over only to him,” said an officer from V P Road police station. “When the boy went down, the kidnappers ambushed him and fled from the spot.”

Driven by greed: Aditya Ranka was kidnapped from his residence in Girgaum on Monday morning by his cousin’s friend, who drove him in his Honda City towards Panvel, murdered him, and dumped his body on the Mumbai-Pune eway

In the evening, Aditya’s family received a call from the kidnappers, who asked for Rs 30 lakh in ransom. The family approached the police immediately, who formed four teams to trace the boy. The police learnt that the ransom call had come from Sion.

“Incidentally, exactly Rs 30 lakh was present in the house. This made it clear that the kidnappers were insiders. All this while, Aditya’s cousin Himanshu Ranka was present in the house. Himanshu helped the family file the complaint, and was also present at the police station,” said an officer from the V P Road police station.

During their search operations, the boy’s parents used the Honda City owned by Ranka’s friend Vrijesh Sanghvi. They were shocked to find found blood stains in it. They also found Aditya’s slippers in the car.

The police then took Ranka into custody. “Ranka confessed that he had killed Aditya with the help of his friend Vrijesh,” said Nisar Tamboli, deputy commissioner of police, Zone II.

Having kidnapped the boy from his residence, Vrijesh had driven him beyond city limits towards Pune, making the ransom call on the way.

He then killed the boy and dumped the body. Vrijesh and Himanshu had gambled away massive amounts of money, and were mired in debt. They will be produced in court today. 

Go to top