Education dept pulls up school for suspending boy
Deputy director of school education has ordered the Kalyan school to let Akshaan Jaisinghani enter the class; the boy had been suspended after he said that PT teachers had thrashed him
The deputy director of school education (Mumbai) has taken serious cognisance of Akshaan Jaisinghani’s case. Akshaan, a 13-year-old boy, studies in Std VIII of Sacred Heart School, Kalyan, and MiD DAY had reported on how the boy had ended up in the ICU, after allegedly being thrashed by two Physical Training (PT) teachers, Mohit Ladhe and Shripad Bhosle (‘Violent PT teachers send Std VIII student to ICU over ‘long’ hair,’ Nov 30). An FIR was lodged with the Titwala police. Akshaan was subsequently suspended by the school.
On December 9, NB Chavan, deputy director of education ordered the school to immediately allow the student to attend classes. Chavan also wrote to the education officer, Thane (copy available with MiD DAY), asking him to conduct an inquiry into the matter. The officer has also been asked to pay a visit to Sacred Heart School and submit a report by December 16.
After the incident hit the headlines, the school suspended Akshaan saying he used to threaten his classmates and had inspired so much terror in his teachers that they refused to attend class. Principal Casendra Mendez, who wrote the letter, had also said that she had demanded a government probe into the matter and until the probe was completed or the department (of education) gave them directions, Akshaan would not be allowed to enter the class. Reacting to this, Chavan observed that due to the suspension, the student was losing out on education and that this was a violation of the Right to Education Act, 2009.
A day after Akshaan was suspended, his grandfather passed away, due to which his parents shaved off the boy’s hair. “I’m thankful to the education department. I have also received a copy of the order. Akshaan had suffered deep trauma since the suspension. He neither ate nor slept well,” said Karishma, the boy’s mother.
The other side
Albin Anthony, school administrator, said, “I have not received the inquiry order from the education department yet. I myself had made a demand for the inquiry with the education district council. I allowed Akshaan to attend school since Wednesday, after I installed CCTV cameras in classrooms. Our teachers had decided to go on strike. They were horrified after Akshaan’s incident, that anyone could blame them.”
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe