Election 2019: Mumbai North, Bangalore North see highest transgender turnout
Mumbai and Bengaluru constituencies otherwise saw low voter turnouts. The turnout in Bangalore North was only 54.66 per cent
New Delhi: According to preliminary data in Election Commission's Voter turnout app, Mumbai North Lok Sabha seat with 167 votes saw the highest turnout of transgenders as the voters listed in "other" category continue to be low all across the country.
According to the app, In most of the constituencies, the number of votes polled by transgenders was negligible or below 10 with exceptions in big cities. Bangalore North had the second highest turnout in "other" segment with 105 votes followed by 72 in Kalyan, 71 in Puducherry, 64 in Tiruchirapalli and 55 in Chennai Central, according to the voters turn out figure till phase 6 of the Lok Sabha elections.
Mumbai and Bengaluru constituencies otherwise saw low voter turnouts. The turnout in Bangalore North was only 54.66 percent.
Among smaller cities where transgender turnout was in double digits include Nandyal (71) and Kadapa (68) in Andhra Pradesh, Bhopal (66) in Madhya Pradesh, Raipur (33) in Chhattisgarh, Anand (30) in Gujarat and Haridwar (22) in Uttarakhand.
Enrolling transgenders in the 'other' category is a recent phenomenon but very few people have come out to register. Only 38,325 voters are listed in the other category across the country. Karnataka alone has over 4,000 other voters while the number is over 1,800 in Maharashtra and 660 in Delhi. The transgenders form a minuscule component of 900 million strong Indian electorate.
According to the 2011 census, India's transgender population stands at 4.9 lakh. In the national capital, the highest 46 votes were polled in Chandni Chowk in other categories.
-with inputs from agencies
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: TikTok user arrested for dangerous bike stunts back in 2017
- Travel agent dupes south Mumbai travellers of Rs 3.08 lakh
- Mumbai Crime: Four nabbed for illegal soil excavation in Gorai
- Mumbai crime: Within four hours of murder, cops nab 2 accused
- Shiv Sena corporator, Salman Khan discuss Being Human for BMC
- Congress leaders' discuss water issues with Mumbai civic chief
- How did you spend our money? BMC chief asks the Railways
- Mumbai: Sion flyover to be shut for one month
- Can we leave the fireflies alone, please?
- Alert Mumbai Metro staff helps commuter get back lost wallet in four hours
- Mumbai lift mishap: BDL lift has not had a licence for last 14 years
- Pune: Loud purring alerts cops to leopard cubs being smuggled
- Between the real and the abstract
- The future of Idli Manchurian
- Smita Thackeray, Maanayata Dutt, Amitabh Bachchan at an event in Andheri
- Remembering Rajiv Gandhi: Rare pictures of former Prime Minister of India
- British Royal kids Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis play in the woods
- These photos of Amruta Fadnavis enjoying the rains are romantic as ever!
- Popular Mumbai salons that Bollywood's top actresses visit
- mid day editorial: Let's start making every drop of water count
- British Royal kids George, Charlotte and Louis play in the woods
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe