Elections 2019: Urmila Matondkar loses to Gopal Shetty in Mumbai North constituency
In her electoral debut, Urmila Matondkar contested against BJP veteran Gopal Shetty
Mumbai: Congress' Mumbai North Lok Sabha candidate Urmila Matondkar Thursday said though she has lost her maiden election, she won't quit politics as she has a long way to go. In her electoral debut, the actor contested against BJP veteran Gopal Shetty. As per the latest trends available, Shetty has taken a decisive lead of 4,52,226 votes over Matondkar. "I am going to continue politics, as I've been saying from day one. This has been an absolute glorious battle for me. I am standing defeated in front of you but do I look like a lost person?" Matondkar told reporters.
"The spirit, the conscience of a person matters. I am extremely happy I fought this election with a lot of dignityand integrity," she added. Matondkar said she looks at the current situation as a "humble beginning." "The experience was absolutely fantastic. I doubt anyone across india had the kind of journey that I had. I am proud of my journey. I feel this is just the start. It is a long way from here and I am more than ready for it," she added.
Earlier in the day, the actor had alleged that there was a mismatch in signatures on an electronic voting machine (EVM) form. When asked about it, Matondkar said, "I congratulate him (Shetty) on his victory... But we have found some discrepancies (in the EVM) and have made a report which we
will submit to the election commission by the end of the day". When asked if she knows the areas she lacked in, Matondkar said it is "too early" for her to comment on the same.
Top Election Results 2019 stories
- Election Results 2019: Modi wave across India as BJP supporters rejoice
- Lok Sabha election results 2019: As Smriti Irani wins in Amethi, meet her cutest supporter
- Inside Photos: Uddhav, Aaditya Thackeray with Devendra Fadnavis at Matoshree in Bandra
- Election Results 2019: Shiv Sena supporters celebrate with laddoos at Sena Bhavan in Dadar
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: Hema Malini congratulates 'architect' Narendra Modi on Twitter
- Arnab Goswami accidentally refers to Sunny Deol as 'Sunny Leone'; Netizens go crazy
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: BJP-Sena combine leads in 44 seats, NCP in 3 in Maharashtra
- Lok Sabha Election Results 2019: Smriti Irani leads Rahul Gandhi; twitter goes berserk!
- Lok Sabha Election Results 2019: Sunny Deol's 'dhai kilo ka haath' too much for Sunil Jakhar
- Lok Sabha Election results 2019: Narendra Modi congratulates Naveen Patnaik for retaining Odisha
- Election 2019: Urmila Matondkar files complaint with EC alleging mismatch in signatures on EVM form
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe