Elections 2019: Interesting polling facts for phase seven
Polling for the seventh and final phase of the Lok Sabha elections began on Sunday in 59 seats spread across seven states and one Union Territory
New Delhi: Voting is underway for the last and seventh phase of Lok Sabha polls on Sunday, henece we bring you some interesting facts about phase seven Lok Sabha polls
- Polling underway in 8 states and union territories
- 59 constituencies with over 10 crore voters
- 918 candidates in fray
- 112993 polling stations
- By this evening, except Vellore in Tamil Nadu, elections would be over in all constituencies
- Vellore polls cancelled following excess use of money power. Fresh date to be announced.
West Bengal: Kolkata North BJP candidate Rahul Sinha casts his vote at polling booth in Bijoygarh Shikshaniketan For Girls, in Jadavpur. pic.twitter.com/q2dtJGB3gf— ANI (@ANI) May 19, 2019
Polling for the seventh and final phase of the Lok Sabha elections began on Sunday in 59 seats spread across seven states and one Union Territory. A total of 918 candidates, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, are in the fray in this last phase of ongoing polls. The Prime Minister is seeking re-election from Varanasi and is challenged by Ajay Rai of the Congress and SP's Shalini Yadav. In this phase of election, 13 seats each in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab, nine in West Bengal, eight seats each in Bihar and Madhya Pradesh, all four constituencies in Himachal Pradesh, three in Jharkhand and one seat in the Union Territory of Chandigarh will witness polling. According to the Election Commission of India (ECI), over 10.01 lakh voters will decide the fates of 918 candidates. The counting of votes will take place on May 23.
Other prominent political figures whose fate will be sealed in the electronic voting machines (EVMs) are Shatrughan Sinha (Congress) and Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) from Patna Sahib constituency, Bhojpuri actor Ravi Kishan (BJP), Madhusudhan Tripathi (Congress) and Rambhusal Nishad of SP from Gorakhpur seat, Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri of BJP and Congress' Gurjeet Singh Aujla from Amritsar Lok Sabha constituency and actor Sunny Deol, who is pitted against Congress heavyweight Sunil Jakhar from the Gurdaspur seat.
Punjab: Former Union Minister and Congress's candidate from Anandpur Sahib parliamentary constituency, Manish Tewari cast his vote at Sacred Heart Convent School, Sarabha Nagar, Ludhiana. #LokSabhaElections2019 pic.twitter.com/f8W91yM5r9— ANI (@ANI) May 19, 2019
Bihar: Union Minister and BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad casts his vote at booth no. 77 in Patna Women's College. pic.twitter.com/rH9HwBEiVn— ANI (@ANI) May 19, 2019
The other leaders whose fortunes will also be decided in this final phase of polling are former Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal (Ferozepur), his wife and Union Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal (Bhatinda) and Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh's wife Perneet Kaur in (Patiala) - all in Punjab, three-time MP Anurag Thakur in Himachal Pradesh's Hamirpur, former Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren (Dumka) and former Union Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who faces sitting MP Kirron Kher in Chandigarh. The Election Commission (EC) has deployed 710 companies of security forces to ensure the last phase of Lok Sabha polling in West Bengal goes off peacefully.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- What after #MeToo? mid-day gathers an update on harassment cases
- Cops end child marriage bid in Thane; groom absconding
- Mumbai: Students from open category protest the Maratha reservation on Carter Road
- Lisa Ray and Tahira Kashyap on loving self after cancer
- Not-so-nice side to parlour didi
- Mumbai crime: Two suicides on Friday, both suspicious; Security firm owner found dead in flat
- 'We are being targeted for BMC's negligence'
- A course in cracking the meaning of life
- Not-so-nice side to parlour didi
- Not bending gender norms, just making them more rigid
- The man Chanakya kept for
- Mumbai Food: Dessert in a glass at Liquid Sweet Shop in BKC
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
PM Narendra Modi wishes Rahul Gandhi on his birthday!