Enforcement Directorate summons Chanda Kochhar in Videocon loan case
The ED alleges that while heading ICICI Bank, Chanda Kochhar illegally routed crores of rupees to NuPower Renewables Ltd, a company run by her husband
On June 7, 2019, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) summoned former ICICI Bank Managing Director and CEO on June 10 in connection with the Rs 1,875 crore Videocon loan case, an official said. The senior ED official told IANS that Kochhar has been summoned to appear before the agency's Jamnagar office in central Delhi on June 10 at 10.30 a.m.
The financial probe agency had questioned the Kochhars in the national capital last month for five times. The case is related to the alleged irregularities and corrupt practices in the sanction of an Rs 1,875-crore loan disbursed by ICICI Bank to the Videocon Group between 2009 and 2011.
The ED alleges that while heading ICICI Bank, Chanda Kochhar illegally routed crores of rupees to NuPower Renewables Ltd, a company run by her husband. In March, the ED had searched the residence and office premises of Kochhars and also questioned them along with Videocon Chairman Venugopal Dhoot.
Dhoot allegedly invested in NuPower Renewables Ltd through his firm Supreme Energy as quid pro quo for the loans cleared by the ICICI Bank.
A large portion of the Rs 40,000 crore loan to the Videocon group remained unpaid at the end of 2017, and the bank proceeded to declare Rs 2,810 crore of this loan as a non-performing asset (NPA).
Top news stories of the day
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Dr Payal Tadvi had no friends in her own department, say batchmates
- Gadchiroli blasts: Elderly parents worry about the future, as slain sons' wives get compensation
- Mulund society secretary booked for animal cruelty
- Mumbai: Esplanade Mansion's electricity meters removed ahead of its demolition
- Mumbai: BMC shuts two crucial foot overbridges at King's Circle
- 'Volunteers to comb forests for snares to prevent deaths of animals'
- Majeed Memon: Preserving Esplanade would mean protecting Kala Ghoda's history
- 8th Board Result 2019 RBSE: Rajasthan Results today at 4 PM, check at rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in
- SSC Result 2019: Maharashtra 10th Results to be out today at mahresult.nic.in
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Maharashtra Elections 2019: Pankaja Munde and Dhananjay Munde battle it out for Parli