Esther Anuhya murder case: Cops detain 3 men as suspects

Jan 26, 2014, 08:09 IST | Sagar Rajput

Three auto drivers with alleged criminal record were detained on Saturday for the techie's murder. Meanwhile, police are also interrogating her co-passengers on the Visakhapatnam Express

At least three auto drivers were detained by the Mumbai Police on Saturday evening for the murder of Esther Anuhya, whose decomposed and burnt body was found on January 16 in a swamp next to the highway on the city’s outskirts. The police said the three men have criminal records and are being interrogated.

Police investigate
Police investigate the site where Esther Anuhya's body was found in the bushes of Bhandup. File Pic

The detention came after Esther’s father, S Jonathan Prasad, accused the Mumbai Police of inaction and said he felt “helpless and disappointed” in his pursuit for justice.

Esther Anuhya

Meanwhile the cops have also started interrogating passengers who were in the same coach of the Visakhapatnam Express in which the 23-year-old software engineer was travelling.

“We are also trying to find out whether on January 5 any auto rickshaw or taxi from outside happened to come to the Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT) station,” said an officer.

Meanwhile a team belonging to the Mumbai GRP has been dispatched to her residence in Andhra Pradesh to find out other possible angles in this murder case.

“We recovered a shirt from a bag from the same spot where the body was found. It had some bloodstains on it. We are trying to figure out whether the bag has anything to do with the murder,” said an officer.

He added that the shawl recovered from the spot cannot belong to the victim but has to be that of a man’s.

The GRP team has also found a third cell phone belonging to Esther, from her hostel room. Police officials have started checking the call data records of the mobile phone. More than 250 police officers have been investigating the murder but without significant success so far.

The case so far

Esther, a software engineer with Tata Consultance Services, went missing on January 5 after she arrived in Mumbai from Hyderabad where she celebrated Christmas with her family. On January 16 the remains of her body was found from the bushes near Tata Nagar Colony in Bhandup East. Post mortem reports revealed that she was sexually assaulted before being killed. Cops had focussed their attention on auto and taxi drivers from the Lokmanya Tilak Terminus.

Go to top