Ex-CP's son bashes up men in his bar, gets them arrested

Jan 09, 2012, 11:08 IST | Akela

Pounded to a pulp by former CP Ramdev Tyagi's son Deepak at his beer bar, 5 of his victims couldn't get cops to lodge an FIR against him; instead, 4 of them were arrested

Pounded to a pulp by former CP Ramdev Tyagi's son Deepak at his beer bar, 5 of his victims couldn't get cops to lodge an FIR against him; instead, 4 of them were arrested

Five youngsters brutally beaten up at a beer bar have alleged that the bar's owner Deepak Tyagi, son of former Mumbai police commissioner Ramdev Tyagi, ganged up with the bar staff to hit them repeatedly with iron rods till they dropped unconscious, but the police arrested them instead.

Friends in high places? Sarathi bar is owned by Deepak Tyagi, son of
(below) former city police commissioner Ramdev Tyagi. pic/Satyajit Desai

The incident happened on November 27, 2011 at Sarathi beer bar at Prabhadevi. The day after, the grievously injured victims approached the police but cops refused to book Tyagi's son, Deepak. Instead, they arrested four of the victims a month later, when Deepak booked a counter complaint of assault against the victims, and had not a single bruise to substantiate his claims.

On November 27, five friends Shridhar Chiluka (30), Vishwanath Tatekonde (25), Sadashiv Tatekonde (23), Rakesh Singh (25) and Shrihari Tatekonde (26) were drinking at the bar. About 9.30 pm, they made a move to dance on the floor to orchestra music, but bar employees told them they couldn't.

The drunken brawl that ensued between the staffers and the customers took little time to turn violent. Deepak, accompanied by more than 12 employees, brutalised the customers with iron bars, the victims said. While Rakesh and Sadashiv managed to scurry away, Shridhar, Vishwanath and Shrihari took the hits till they were knocked down on the floor. "More than 12 of them assailed us with iron rods. They hit us till we fell to the floor and lost consciousness. When we came to senses, we found ourselves at KEM hospital," said Shridhar.

"All three of us were lying in a pool of blood, unconscious. One of the victims sustained a fracture to his right hand. The other received eight stitches to the head," said Vishwanath, a B Com student. The next day, the Dadar police lodged an FIR and arrested two of the 12 bar employees.

"More than 12 staffers brutalised us but the bribed police officials arrested only a couple of them. The crime should be registered under Section 307 (attempt to murder) of the IPC," Vishwanath added.

'No pressure'
"We have arrested two employees under Section 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means) of IPC. The complainants are not cooperating in investigations," said Sanjay Satpute, sub-inspector Dadar police station. "I am under no pressure from former police commissioner Ramdev Tyagi. We are taking the necessary action as per law."

The victims further alleged that three days after the incident, Deepak approached them and offered Rs 1.5 lakh toward medical expenses, but with a rider: the victims would have to take back their police complaint. The victims refused to comply.

A month later, on December 27, the Bhoiwada police arrested four of the victims on the charges of attacking Deepak. They were acting on an FIR registered by Deepak that four of the complainants, his customers, had attacked him inside KEM hospital a month before while he was undergoing treatment.

"We had arrested the four accused after getting Deepak's complaint. The matter is under investigation," said Vikram Patil, senior inspector, Bhoiwada police station. The victims were bailed out after spending four days in a lock-up.

Said a social activist, Shiv Kumar, who has taken up the issue, "Dadar and Bhoiwada police are under duress from former police commissioner Ramdev Tyagi. We are not getting justice for this. Now we are going to file a petition in court, demanding a CID inquiry into the matter." Added sub-inspector Satpute, "I will register an FIR against the complainants as well. The bar owner has cross-complained against them."

The other side
When this reporter spoke to Sarathi beer bar's manager, Prem Jha, he had a completely different version of the episode. "More than 30 to 35 men attacked me outside the bar. I fell down on the road and became unconscious. I had to be hospitalised. I don't remember what happened after that. The matter is under police investigation." Deepak Tyagi was unavailable for comment.

Go to top