Ex-lover killed woman in hotel room as her mother-in-law waited in lobby

Published: 26 October, 2013 06:01 IST | Saurabh Vaktania |

The accused met the victim and her mother-in-law at the hotel, after which the relative left the two of them to sort out their affair; he fled and caught a train from CST to Nagpur from where he was nabbed

A day after a 23-year-old woman was found murdered in a hotel, the police have arrested her killer after finding him in hiding, in his hometown of Nagpur.

On Thursday night, 23-year-old Rashida Suratwala was found murdered in her hotel room at Hotel Milan International in Santacruz. Rashida resided with her husband Murtuza, her three-year-old daughter, and in-laws at Golibar, Santacruz (East). 

Two years ago, Rashida met 27-year-old Shahid Abdul Sheikh and the two of them fell in love. However, when her mother-in-law found out about the affair, Rashida broke it off with Sheikh. However, Sheikh was furious about it being called off.

In February this year, an angry Sheikh had entered Rashida’s home and threatened to kill her if she didn’t continue the affair. It was then that Rashida’s mother-in-law intervened in the matter and he walked away.

Sources from Santacruz police said that however, last month, Sheikh began calling Rashida again and was desperate to meet her. In an attempt to calm him down and end the matter, Rashida decided to meet him and booked a room at Hotel Milan International and went to stay there with her mother-in-law.

The two arrived at the hotel on Thursday afternoon where Sheikh met them. The three of them had lunch together and later, Rashida’s mother-in-law left the two of them alone and went to the lobby.

The authorities said that in the time that the two were alone, Sheikh killed Rashida and then escaped from the hotel by covering his face to avoid Rashida’s mother-in-law’s vision.

Three hours later, when Rashida’s mother-in-law tried to open the door to the room, she found it locked. She immediately asked for duplicate keys and found that Rashida was lying on the floor, murdered.

Sources added that after the crime, Sheikh boarded a train from CST and left for his home in Nagpur. The police tracked him down and four teams from Santacruz, Khar and Juhu police stations nabbed him. Authorities added that Sheikh would be brought to the city today and would be charged with murder.

When MiD DAY spoke about the crime to Chhering Dorje, DCP (Zone IX), he said, “Prima facie, it appears that Rashida was smothered to death.” 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK