Ex Newcastle player Eatock on being abused: 'I wasn't as young as some of the others'
A former Newcastle United player added his name on Wednesday to a growing list of ex-footballers in England who said they had suffered sexual abuse during their time in the sport
London: A former Newcastle United player added his name on Wednesday to a growing list of ex-footballers in England who said they had suffered sexual abuse during their time in the sport.
David Eatock broke his silence as it emerged that more than a quarter of the UK's regional police forces were looking into allegations of historic child sex abuse within football.
Eatock, signed by Newcastle when Kevin Keegan was manager of the northeast club, said he was older than the majority of victims who have come forward since former Crewe Alexandra player Andy Woodward revealed a fortnight ago he was abused by convicted child molester Barry Bennell in the 1980s.
The now 40-year-old Eatock said he had been a victim of former youth coach George Ormond, who was sentenced to six years in 2002 for a string of offences committed over almost 25 years.
"One of the more difficult parts for me is that I wasn't as young as some of the others," Eatock told the Guardian newspaper. "I was 18 when I got to know George Ormond. I can still remember the look on his face, how terrifying it was," he added.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe