FA Cup: Arsenal win first title in nine years

May 18, 2014, 08:42 IST | Agencies

Aaron Ramsey's extra-time goal completed a dramatic comeback that saw Arsenal beat Hull 3-2 in the FA Cup final at Wembley

London: Aaron Ramsey's extra-time goal completed a dramatic comeback that saw Arsenal beat Hull 3-2 in the FA Cup final at Wembley on Saturday. This is Arsenal’s first title since 2005.

Aaron Ramsey
Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey (left) celebrates with Kieran Gibbs as he scores their third goal during the FA Cup against Hull City at Wembley Stadium in London on Saturday. Pic/Getty Images.

Underdogs Hull, playing in the first Cup final of their 110-year history, stunned their Premier League rivals by going 2-0 up inside nine minutes thanks to goals from James Chester and Alex Davies. Santi Cazorla’s 17th-minute free-kick brough Arsenal back into the match before Laurent Koscielny equalised 19 minutes from time. The first period of extra-time failed to produce a goal but Wales midfielder Ramsey’s precise 109th-minute finish secured Arsenal’s first major trophy in the nine years since they last won the FA Cup.

Hull City
Hull City players celebrate their first goal. Pic/AFP.

Earlier, the 2014 FA Cup final headed into extra-time after Premier League rivals Arsenal and Hull City finished all square at 2-2 after 90 minutes. James Chester gave the Tigers the lead in the fourth minute when he diverted Tom Huddlestone’s mis-hit shot past wrong-footed Gunners goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski.

Hull then doubled their lead when, after Fabianski had tipped a header from Alex Bruce — the son of Tigers manager Steve Bruce — Curtis Davies smashed the ball in from a tight angle. But a stunned Arsenal — bidding to end a nine-year major trophy drought — got a goal back in the 17th minute through Santi Cazorla’s brilliant long range free-kick.

Arsene Wenger’s men were back on level terms 19 minutes from the end of normal time when Laurent Koscielny turned the ball in from close range after Bacary Sagna’s header deflected off Olivier Giroud and fell at his feet.

Arsenal vs Hull: Blow-by-blow

4th min: James Chester puts Hull City in lead straight away. From the corner, it is slipped forward towards Chester, who gets a touch on with his heel.

8th min: Curtis Davies doubles the lead for Hull. Matty Fryatt’s header is palmed away off the line by Fabianski and it is Davies who fires in the rebound.

17th min: Arsenal finally strike. Santi Cazorla’s stunning free-kick is fired right into the top corner. McGregor just couldn’t get anywhere near that.

71st min: Laurent Koscielny equalises for Arsenal. From the corner, Sagna’s header deflects off Fryatt. It falls to Koscielny and turns it past the ‘keeper.

108 min: Aaron Ramsey gives Arsenal the much-needed lead. Back-heel from Giroud towards Ramsey, who diverts it into the top corner.

Go to top