Families had decided to split couple in 2011, say police

Feb 08, 2013, 07:13 IST | Sagar Rajput

Relatives of Abhishek Vichare and his ex-girlfriend, whom he assaulted with a knife before committing suicide, had met cops two years ago after the woman's relatives had alleged that the young man was harassing her

Two days after 21-year-old Abhishek Vichare vented the frustration of his jilted love by allegedly attacking his former girlfriend and her family with a knife before committing suicide on the railway tracks, his relatives went to the Ghatkopar police station to thrash out the facts. The deceased’s kin said they came to know about his violent behaviour from the newspapers. MiD DAY had reported the matter yesterday (‘Man attacks former girlfriend with knife, commits suicide’).

MiD DAY's report yesterday
MiD DAY’s report yesterday

Senior inspector Ram Mandurke from Ghatkopar police station said, “After reading the news, Vichare’s parents had come here to inquire about what precisely happened before Vichare committed suicide, as they were totally unaware of the sequence of events leading to his unfortunate end.”

Both families had met the then senior inspector of the area in 2011, after the woman’s relatives had approached cops alleging that Abhishek was harassing her. All the parties had decided that the duo should not meet again. Mandurke added, “The two hadn’t informed their families that they had resumed seeing each other a few months later, as Priya had learnt to trust Abhishek once more. But soon after she was shocked as the young man again started acting jealous, and assaulted her on occasions.”

Mandurke said he had instructed his subordinates not to discuss Abhishek’s suicide with Priya. However, her father was later informed by police officials. “I didn’t wish to inform Priya, as we didn’t know how she would react to it. Even her father had promised he wouldn’t talk to her about it. She might have come to know after reading the newspapers,” the senior inspector said. 

Go to top