Family cremates techie without his kidney, which is in cop custody

Feb 28, 2014, 09:11 IST | Tahasin Atar

A day after mid-day reported how Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital removed Indrajit Chavan’s kidney without his family’s consent, the organ was to be sent to Sassoon Hospital for a chemical analysis

The mystery behind the death of 32-year-old IT professional Indrajit Chavan remains unsolved as the cause of his death is still unknown. He was cremated without his kidney yesterday. Chavan’s body was released to his family after a post-mortem at Sassoon’s forensic department on Wednesday. His kidney is in Kothrud police’s custody.

Lost cause: Chavan’s relatives outside Sassoon Hospital, where his post-mortem was conducted. Pic/Mohan Patil

The bright engineer, who worked his way up amid several hardships, lost his life after a series of unfortunate medical events at two hospitals in the city. He underwent a kidney stone removal surgery on February 25 at Prime Surgical Centre, but suffered a cardiac arrest post-surgery, and was rushed to Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital (DMH) in Erandwane, where he breathed his last.

At DMH, the same team of doctors from Prime Surgical Centre performed the second surgery during which they removed his left kidney allegedly without informing his family. Indrajit’s brother Vishwajeet said, “After the second surgery, the doctor said that Indrajit’s left kidney was infected and thus had to be removed.”

Chavan’s family members claim that later the kidney was hastily stored in a jar by the DMH staff to be sent for post-mortem and handed over to the police without any identification mark. This created a problem as the staff at Sassoon’s forensic lab refused to accept the kidney without the ID details.

“Two staff members from DMH and a constable from Kothrud police station guarded the jar outside the forensic lab while the body was taken inside for autopsy,” added Vishwajeet.

As the organ now lies in police custody, officials claim it will be sent to the Sassoon pathology lab for a chemical analysis. “We will send it to the pathology lab for chemical analysis. The reports will then be submitted to the Sassoon medical board.

Our further course of action will be decided after receiving the medical board’s opinion,” said police inspector Kalyanrao Vidhate. Dr DG Kulkarni, medical superintendent of Sassoon General Hospital, refused to comment on the matter.

>> Chavan’s kidney was sent to Sassoon path lab without ID mark

>> The cause of his death has not yet been revealed

Go to top