Family members of dead woman accuse surgeons of negligence, cops of apathy

Aug 01, 2013, 04:34 IST | A Correspondent

Say officials from Chinchwad and Pimpri police station not registering case against surgeons of Khaire Hospital in Chinchwad for a botched up C-section, which resulted in her death

A day after a woman breathed her last due to an alleged botched up C-section at Khaire Hospital in Chinchwad, her relatives accused of police officials of showing apathy in registering a complaint against the surgeons who performed the operation and are now absconding. The deceased was been identified as Sumaiya Imran Shaikh (24), a resident of Sant Tukaram Nagar, and was admitted to the Khaire Hospital few days ago. 

Sumaiya Shaikh
Tragic end: Sumaiya Shaikh

“Sumaiya was admitted to the hospital and delivered a baby boy on Tuesday morning. The doctors had to perform a C-section surgery,” said Shaikh’s cousin Mushir Saiyad. “The doctors failed to do proper stitches post-surgery.

We get to know about it on Tuesday evening following which she was rushed to the Niramay Hospital in Pimpri, where she breathed her last at 1 am. My sister’s death is the result of negligence on the doctors’ part. When we went to Khaire Hospital to confront the doctors, we discovered that they had fled the hospital.”

One of the Shaikh’s relatives said that when they approached the Chinchwad police station to lodge a complaint against doctors of the Khaire Hospital, officials there told us to the file a compliant at the Pimpri police station. “Chinchwad police said my since my sister died in Pimpri area, we should go to the Pimpri police station to lodge our complaint. When we approached officials at the Pimpri police station, they refused to file our complaint,” informed Firoz Shaikh, Sumaiya’s another cousin.

Mushir said Shaikh’s husband told them that he was fed up trying to secure justice for his dead wife and was no longer interested in filing any compliant. “All he wants to do now is just moan for my dead sister.”  Despite repeated attempts, none of the officials from both the police stations were available for comment. 

Go to top