Father fears 17-yr-old was sexually abused

Feb 28, 2013, 05:13 IST | Anup Satphale

After the teenager was traced yesterday, her father found blood on her clothes; hospital demanded for pay Rs 500 when he asked them to conduct medical test

Driven by dread that his mentally challenged 17-year-old daughter may have been sexually assaulted after vanishing on Tuesday afternoon from Sassoon hospital, where she was admitted for treatment, a father is running from pillar to post to get a medical test done on the minor.

Pinki (name changed) mysteriously disappeared from the hospital on Tuesday afternoon and her father filed a missing person report at the Bund Garden police station.

Nagging fears: Sassoon Hospital from where Pinki had disappeared on Tuesday while her mother was in the washroom. Pic/Krunal Gosavi

Early yesterday morning, the girl was discovered loitering in Yerwada and reunited with her parents. Her father felt something had happened to his daughter after discovering some specks of blood on her kurta and he feared the worst.

The father requested doctors at Sassoon Hospital to conduct a medical test on his daughter to rule out doubts that she had been subjected to sexual abuse, but was allegedly asked to pay Rs 500 before they could begin.

He was informed at the hospital to file a police complaint stating his fears and then a medical test could be conducted free of charge. When he approached the Bund Garden police station with his sexual assault theory, the officials asked him to approach Yerwada police station since the girl was found in that jurisdiction.

Left unattended
According to officials at Sassoon hospital, the girl had been admitted for treatment and left the ward when her mother was not around.  “My daughter was admitted at the hospital since February 22, 2013, as she has a psychological problem. This is the second time we have admitted her in the hospital so my wife and I stay with her on alternate days. On February 26, my wife was with her and when she went to the washroom at around 12 pm, my daughter wandered out of the hospital,” Pinki’s father said. 

“I went to the police station in the morning with my daughter’s photograph, but the police informed me that she had been traced and deposited with her mother at the hospital. They asked me to sign some papers and then I rushed back to the hospital. I saw blood stains on her dress and immediately suspected that she may have been sexually abused.

I asked a doctor at the hospital to conduct a medical test, but I was told I would have to pay Rs 500 for it.” A doctor from the casualty section of Sassoon Hospital said on condition of anonymity, “If the father wanted to get a medical check up done to ascertain whether the girl had been sexually abused, he will have to lodge a police complaint in this regard. Only then can the test be carried out.”

Regarding the missing person complaint lodged with the Bund Garden police station, Police Inspector Ukhaji Sonawane said, “We found the girl in Yerwada area and handed her over to her parents. Usually, we do not carry out medical tests in missing person cases. If the relatives want a test conducted, they must file a complaint in that regard. Also, they will need to file it at the Yerwada police station as the girl was found in the area under that jurisdiction.”  

Go to top