Feeling of loss, loss of feeling

Sep 09, 2011, 07:27 IST | Astha Saxena

While relatives and friends of some of those killed in the blast are still trying to come to terms with the facts, others blame hospitals for poor treatment

While relatives and friends of some of those killed in the blast are still trying to come to terms with the facts, others blame hospitals for poor treatment

Friends and families of those who died in Wednesday's bomb blast at the Delhi High Court slowly came to terms with their loss and waited to receive the bodies of their loved ones outside the Lady Hardinge Medical College mortuary on Thursday. The bodies were shifted to the Late Hardinge Medical College late Wednesday night from the nearby Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where the injured are being treated. Teary-eyed relatives recalled fond memories as they braced to conclude in a few hours the relationships built over years.

Ashok Kumar Sharma, 55
For 19-year-old Damini, the future appears uncertain. Her father Ashok Kumar Sharma (55) is among the 13 people who lost their lives in the bomb blast that took place outside Delhi High Court on Wednesday. Sharma was a Kendriya Vidyalaya employee, but was removed from service due to an inquiry against him.

No end: Damini & Rishabh, waiting for the post-mortem of  Ashok
Sharma. Pic/Subhsh Barolia

His family says, Sharma had been a whistleblower as he had exposed cases of financial misappropriation at his workplace. He was the only source of income for the family. "There is no earning member in his family now as his wife was also removed from service. We hope that his children get the promised compensation from the government. This is the least they can do for his family and his children," said Sharad Sharma, his friend.  Ashok's 14-year-old son Rishabh is in no condition to speak to anyone. "I don't know what is in store for us. He was the only one we had. What will we do now? None of us is capable enough to carry the burden of the family. My brother is still studying and I am just 19," said Damini.

Darshan Lal Jain, 85
Darshan Lal Jain (85), a retired government official, is survived by three sons and five daughters. He was in the queue outside Delhi High Court for a long pending property dispute. He was a regular here.

Fighting tears: Relatives of Darshan Lal Jain  at their residence in
Delhi. Pic/Vatsala shrangi

On Wednesday, he was more late than usual, and therefore, was at the far end of the queue where the blast occurred. He resided in the posh colony of Shakti Nagar Extension in north Delhi. "We looked everywhere for him throughout the day, and after a long search, we were told that he was in the list of the nine deceased persons," said Rajkumar Jain, a close relative.

Inderjeet Singh, 80
Inderjeet Singh, 80, a senior citizen who lost his life in the bomb blast, has served the Indian Army in the Sikh Regiment and also worked as a clerk in the irrigation department. After his retirement, Inderjeet had settled in Geeta Colony area of east Delhi with his wife, two brothers and three sisters.

Inconsolable: Family members of Inderjeet Singh in the Capital.
Pic/Imtiyaz Khan

He was a very spiritual person, and an active member of the nearby Gurdwara. His family is inconsolable since getting the news. "He was a very spiritual man and a good human being. He was a very social person and always took part in various activities in the colony. We cannot change the fact that he is no more with us and it is very sad that his life ended in this manner," said Surenderpal Singh, a relative.

Pramod Kumar Chaurasiya, 40
Pramod Kumar Chaurasiya (40), who went to Delhi High Court with three of his friends, lost his life to the gruesome blast, while the other three fortunately escaped death, and are now left to mourn him. Initially, he was admitted to the hospital with injuries, but he died yesterday morning. One of his friends, Subodh Jha (42), got minor injuries in his legs.

Still waiting: Pramod Chaurasiya's family waits for his body at Lady
Hardinge Medical College. Pic/Subhsh Barolia

Though he managed to save his own life he is extremely sad to have lost one of his closest friends. "We all went there for my brother's case. I did not know that in order to get support for my brother, I would loose my dearest friend," Jha said. Jha added that he may have seen the bomber, as, while standing in the queue for passes, someone had announced that the last counter had also opened, which was actually closed. Just after this, the bomb exploded. According to his friends, Chaurasiya behaved very bravely after the incident. After the blast, he went to the ambulance on his own, without anyone's help. "He stood up and went to the ambulance on his own. Also, there was no attendant from the hospital team that time. When he reached the hospital, we were told that his condition was stable, but today he suddenly left us. We are wondering what they have done to our friend," said Supher Chauhan, one of the three friends who went with Chaurasiya.

(With inputs from Vatsala Shrangi and Anurag Jadli)

Go to top