Five die after consuming poisonous prasad

Mar 27, 2013, 09:00 IST | PTI

Five members of a family died after consuming suspected poisonous prasad, in an incident video recorded by one of the victims till he fainted

"Kanchan Singh, with an aim to "meet" God, organised a yagna in his house, which concluded at around 2 am today. When it was over, he distributed prasad to all present saying that they will be able to see and meet God soon," said Circle Officer Rajesh Beniwal. 

All those who consumed the prasad fainted and it was Kanchan's niece Rashmi, who first informed police after she gained consciousness in the morning, he said.

When police took them to the hospital, Kanchan (45), his wife Neelam (40), their daughter Dimmi (16), son Praduman (12) and Kanchan's brother Deep (40) were declared brought dead, while the condition of his 70-year old mother Bhagwati, nephew Love (11) and the 23-year-old Rashmi is said to be serious.

"According to Rashmi, Kanchan had convinced all of them that they will be able to meet God after having the prasad," Beniwal added.

The incident took place in the wee hours of today in Sawai Madhopur district's Gangapur and was also video recorded by the head of the family, who is among those killed, police said. The video camera used to make the recording has been seized and police said that the matter is under investigation. 

Go to top